2008 AOPA Sweeps Archer Useful Load

Old January 4th 08, 07:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig601XLBuilder

Default 2008 AOPA Sweeps Archer Useful Load

Marco Leon wrote:

Well, the difference with the Archer III I can see. The glass panel and
different interior as well as other changes (like thicker glass) would seem
likely to add a lot of weight. But If I were to pick up a '76 Archer that's
pretty much original, I *should* see something in the ballpark of the "book"
numbers. Those numbers (or something close) should make their way into the
POH, right?

Marco

While the thicker glass should and the interior might increase the
weight the glass panel ought to lower the weight.
Old January 4th 08, 08:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
JGalban via AviationKB.com

Marco Leon wrote:

Well, the difference with the Archer III I can see. The glass panel and
different interior as well as other changes (like thicker glass) would seem
likely to add a lot of weight. But If I were to pick up a '76 Archer that's
pretty much original, I *should* see something in the ballpark of the "book"
numbers. Those numbers (or something close) should make their way into the
POH, right?

The Archer III I flew was a basic model. No glass panel. No frills.

According to your "book", you should be able to get an early Archer that
has 1160 lbs. useful load. I'm saying that is not a realistic number for an
early -180, much less a heavier Archer. Ultimately, the only thing that
really matters is what is on the W&B sheet of a particular aircraft.

Most of the early model, tapered winged Archers (beginning '76) that I'm
familiar with, will show a useful load of about 950-1000 lbs.

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)