Tweaking the throttle on approach

Old March 10th 07, 05:04 PM posted to alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Mxsmanic

Default Tweaking the throttle on approach

Ibby (The Artist Formerly Known as Chris) writes:

Sorry Tony, I wasn't refering to the Mooney aircraft. Didn't even
cross my mind. I was refering to the Mooney religous cult in the
States that seemed to have a lot of questionable practices

That would be the Moonies.

Old March 10th 07, 05:05 PM posted to alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Mxsmanic

Ibby (The Artist Formerly Known as Chris) writes:

So if you crash into someone elses property who pays for that?

How much property does one normally crash into on a typical flight? How much
property is there to crash into on a runway or taxiway?

If you hit my car, damaged it or God forbit killed one of my
passengers how would I be compensated?

First, you need to get your car off the runway.

Insurance isn't just to protect your assets, they are for others too.

Beyond a certain point, insurance is a protection racket.

Old March 10th 07, 05:06 PM posted to alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Mxsmanic

Ibby (The Artist Formerly Known as Chris) writes:

Do you drive MX????????

Yes.

If so you should be aware that there is more to learning to drive than
just moving a stick and rotating that round thing in front of you.

Nevertheless, I learned to drive a stick in a few hours.

There are rules to be learnt (well outside France), you have to learn
how to handle the car, your perception to the outside world in
relation to your speed, position etc on the road. When to speed up,
slow down. How to handle emergencies. Same goes for an aircraft.

Learning to drive was easy. If learning to fly is that easy, I'm reassured.

Old March 10th 07, 09:36 PM posted to alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student

On Mar 7, 12:12 am, Mxsmanic wrote:

I'm rarely on the centerline when I turn at the last minute, but there is
still time to line up, usually.

"turn at the last minute"? How long is your final approach leg? If
you're flying the traffic pattern, your ground track should be a
perfect rectangle with rounded corners, and in your Baron, your turn
from base to final should be completed about 3/4 mile out from the
threshold leaving you plenty of time to get stabilized on final. If
you turn substantially inside this point, you will have too little
time to stabilize your approach, and you should go around.

I can't feel a crosswind in the sim, of course, but I can "feel" (note quotation
marks) the aircraft drifting to one side or otherwise moving by looking out
the window or watching the instruments (in low visibility). I'm so-so at
correcting for that.

You can't feel a crosswind in a real plane either. It's the same as
in the sim, you just look forward out the window and check to see if
the ground is drifting by sideways, then correct for it by turning
slightly into the wind, so that you end up tracking exactly along the
runway's extended centerline.

If so, then that is not unusual, or bad, but you MUST align before
touchdown. (Use rudder to straighten out, and opposite aileron to
prevent lateral drift)

That's what I try to do. I try to use both rudder and aileron unless I'm
extremely close to the runway, as I've read that using rudder alone is a Bad
Thing.

When landing with a crosswind, the combined effects of rudder and
opposite aileron are needed to cause the plane to both (1) track the
centerline and (2) align it's long axis with the centerline. You need
to maintain this configuration (i.e., a slip) all the way to touchdown
(and beyond).

Old March 10th 07, 09:44 PM posted to alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Mxsmanic

writes:

"turn at the last minute"? How long is your final approach leg?

When I'm in a rush, there isn't one. I approach the runway at an angle
(sometimes 90 degrees or more), and then turn to align with it as I pass over
it.

If you're flying the traffic pattern, your ground track should be a
perfect rectangle with rounded corners, and in your Baron, your turn
from base to final should be completed about 3/4 mile out from the
threshold leaving you plenty of time to get stabilized on final. If
you turn substantially inside this point, you will have too little
time to stabilize your approach, and you should go around.

In real life, I would. In the sim, it depends on what I'm trying to practice.
The sim gives you the luxury of short-circuiting anything that isn't directly
relevant to whatever exercise you've undertaken.

You can't feel a crosswind in a real plane either. It's the same as
in the sim, you just look forward out the window and check to see if
the ground is drifting by sideways, then correct for it by turning
slightly into the wind, so that you end up tracking exactly along the
runway's extended centerline.

So much the better, then. I thought it was something you would feel in a real
aircraft. I suppose if it's steady you wouldn't notice it.

Old March 10th 07, 11:07 PM posted to alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
chris[_1_]

On Mar 11, 9:44 am, Mxsmanic wrote:

If you're flying the traffic pattern, your ground track should be a
perfect rectangle with rounded corners, and in your Baron, your turn
from base to final should be completed about 3/4 mile out from the
threshold leaving you plenty of time to get stabilized on final. If
you turn substantially inside this point, you will have too little
time to stabilize your approach, and you should go around.

In real life, I would. In the sim, it depends on what I'm trying to practice.
The sim gives you the luxury of short-circuiting anything that isn't directly
relevant to whatever exercise you've undertaken.

In real life, sometimes you get asked to do a 'short approach'. This
would be probably the closest to what you're doing in the sim, so if
you are looking to real life for validation of what you do in the sim,
then there you go..

I have done some wacky, crazy approaches when asked to do a short
approach, usually with healthy doses of sideslip..

You can't feel a crosswind in a real plane either. It's the same as
in the sim, you just look forward out the window and check to see if
the ground is drifting by sideways, then correct for it by turning
slightly into the wind, so that you end up tracking exactly along the
runway's extended centerline.

So much the better, then. I thought it was something you would feel in a real
aircraft. I suppose if it's steady you wouldn't notice it.

You don't feel it because the air and the ground are not connected..
You have to look at the drift and correct for it. Quite easy to do
in practise, easier than trying to explain it :-)

Old March 11th 07, 12:51 AM posted to alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Ibby (The Artist Formerly Known as Chris)

That would be the Moonies.

Thats what I said albeit spelt Mooneys - but meant the same thing

Ibby

Old March 11th 07, 12:55 AM posted to alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Ibby (The Artist Formerly Known as Chris)

Perhaps true but it serves a purpose with the likes of serious or
fatal injuries.
Money makes the world go round so what better way to penalise worse
drivers and/or pilots by increasing their premiums for the higher risk
they pose to others.

Ibby

Ibby

Beyond a certain point, insurance is a protection racket.

Old March 11th 07, 01:00 AM posted to alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Ibby (The Artist Formerly Known as Chris)

Nevertheless, I learned to drive a stick in a few hours.

Gosh MX you ARE amazing. I have seen many drivers from Europe. Been
in a car with one driving and the quality of driving was absolutely
diabolical. He was looking out all the side windows etc, went past a
soccer pitch and he said 'i know that man' as he turned 180 degrees to
look out the rear window. Went round another bend and nearly took out
a lamp standard.

Perhaps he learnt to drive in a couple of hours too ;-((

Ibby

Old March 11th 07, 06:32 AM posted to alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Mxsmanic

Ibby (The Artist Formerly Known as Chris) writes:

Thats what I said albeit spelt Mooneys - but meant the same thing

That was my understanding. Some people may not have recognized the reference
with a different spelling, so I clarified.