Different categories of ILS hold short lines at large airports

Old March 1st 06, 01:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Different categories of ILS hold short lines at large airports

Thanks to a discussion in a LiveATC.net's forum, I was unaware that there
were actually different categories of ILS hold short lines. What is
puzzling to me is that there are examples of the CAT III hold short lines
being closer to the runway served by the CAT III approach than the CAT I
hold short line is to the runway served by the CAT I approach. At least at
first glance, this seems backwards.

For example, in looking at the San Francisco airport diagram, he

http://www.myairplane.com/databases/...fs/00375AD.PDF

I realize that the CAT III approach only serves RWY 28 R at KSFO, but it
still appears that the CAT III lines are closer to the runway. Could this
be because the CAT III ILS transmitter is located between the two parallel
runways, whereas the ILS tower serving the CAT I ILS to RWY 28 L is on the
left side of RWY 28 L?

--
Peter
Old March 3rd 06, 03:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Peter R." wrote:

Thanks to a discussion in a LiveATC.net's forum, I was unaware that there
were actually different categories of ILS hold short lines. What is
puzzling to me is that there are examples of the CAT III hold short lines
being closer to the runway served by the CAT III approach than the CAT I
hold short line is to the runway served by the CAT I approach. At least at
first glance, this seems backwards.

snip

Cool. Judging by the lack of replies, it looks to me like this topic
stumped the group. I should get an award or something.

--
Peter
Old March 5th 06, 02:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Cool. Judging by the lack of replies, it looks to me like this topic
stumped the group. I should get an award or something.

There's an award for 'Most Boring Topic'??

ducking!

:-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old March 6th 06, 08:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Jay Honeck wrote:

There's an award for 'Most Boring Topic'??

ducking!

Ha! Although you bring up a good point. Perhaps I should have posted this
to the IFR newsgroup. There is at least one individual who works for the
FAA who posts there, but not here.

I thought some of the knowledgeable, IFR-rated pilots here would have known
the answer.

--
Peter