A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

PowerFlarm Updates

Old August 9th 13, 04:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kd6veb
external usenet poster

Default PowerFlarm Updates

Hi Gang
I have just updated the firmware on my PowerFlarm portable unit in the Phoenix without problems to version 3.31. Now how do you do the same for the brick and Butterfly display in the DG1001M? I have loaded the new firmware onto a USB memory stick and plugged it in but the unit does not seem to recognize the memory stick. So I must be doing something wrong. Would someone please show me the correct procedure to update the brick's firmware. Thanks..
Dave
Old August 9th 13, 04:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Luke Szczepaniak
external usenet poster

On 08/09/2013 11:16 AM, kd6veb wrote:
Hi Gang
I have just updated the firmware on my PowerFlarm portable unit in the Phoenix without problems to version 3.31. Now how do you do the same for the brick and Butterfly display in the DG1001M? I have loaded the new firmware onto a USB memory stick and plugged it in but the unit does not seem to recognize the memory stick. So I must be doing something wrong. Would someone please show me the correct procedure to update the brick's firmware. Thanks.
Dave

Make sure its not a USB3 drive, (USB2 should work) probably best to keep
it to a 2GB size formatted in FAT32. Make sure the file has not been
renamed by your browser when you saved it and its at the root of the drive.

Hope this helps,
Luke
Old August 9th 13, 09:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Friday, August 9, 2013 10:23:31 AM UTC-5, Luke Szczepaniak wrote:
On 08/09/2013 11:16 AM, kd6veb wrote:

Hi Gang

I have just updated the firmware on my PowerFlarm portable unit in the Phoenix without problems to version 3.31. Now how do you do the same for the brick and Butterfly display in the DG1001M? I have loaded the new firmware onto a USB memory stick and plugged it in but the unit does not seem to recognize the memory stick. So I must be doing something wrong. Would someone please show me the correct procedure to update the brick's firmware. Thanks.

Dave

Make sure its not a USB3 drive, (USB2 should work) probably best to keep

it to a 2GB size formatted in FAT32. Make sure the file has not been

renamed by your browser when you saved it and its at the root of the drive.

Hope this helps,

Luke

Just back from the glider club after upgrading to 3.31
Make sure you hold in the knob on the Butterfly display while turning on power to the PFlarm with the (2GB) memory stick in place. Bingo, it upgrades!

Herb
Old August 10th 13, 06:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

FirmWare 3.31 is for the PowerFlarm core.
It has nothing to do with the Butterfly display.
So, pushing buttons of the display at power-up is irrelevant for the CORE firmware update.
Holding the display push button down at powerup is only relevant for DISPLAY firmware update or new FlarmNet database upload.

Take a clean USB stick
(as mentioned above, nothing fancy like USB3, a Gazillion GB, properly formatted in FAT32)
Make sure there are no other firmware files (.fw) in the root (top) directory.
Watch the LED on the Core blinking.
When the blinking stops and the standard screen (butterfly with green square GPS and TX boxes) comes up, the process is done.
Old August 12th 13, 02:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Dave:

We discovered after a few tries that some USB drives don't work for the ClearNav, and possibly the Power Flarm. Previous posters have mentioned similar problems. In fact ClearNav first sent us a Patriot thumb drive and later told us not to use that make. Go figure! Another thing we discovered is that you cannot download the update on a thumb drive and put it on two devices: download it onto one thumb drive, install it, then download it again and install it on the second device. Fred