new twin concept from Cirrus

Old May 10th 06, 04:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default new twin concept from Cirrus

Thomas Borchert wrote:

It was my (mis?)understanding that a diesel is, HP/lb, heavier than a
standard aircraft engine, especially when getting into the higher
(over 250) HP models. Correct?

Not necessarily, but the big Thielert at 350 HP is heavier than an
IO-520/550. 60 pounds or so.

On the other hand, the diesel airplane will typically require less fuel in
order to complete the same mission as the avgas airplane. The saved fuel
weight can offset some or all of the weight penalty of the heavier engine.

Of course this does not apply when topping off the tanks - but in that
case, the diesel airplane gains a lot in range.

So it looks like there is a free lunch after all - at least when not
counting the acquisition costs! :-)

Greetings,
Markus

Old May 10th 06, 05:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

("Thomas Borchert" wrote)
I may have reported this here already, but I live in Hamburg, Germany,
home of the Thielert group. And at the Hamburg airport, I have seen what
seemed to be a prototype of an SR-22 fitted with the big 350-HP Thielert.

Clipboard and a white lab coat are all you'll need. Go poke around and
report back.

Thanks. :-)

Montblack
In this country we call it pulling a "Rockford".
http://www.timstvshowcase.com/rockford.html

Old May 11th 06, 10:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Markus,

On the other hand, the diesel airplane will typically require less fuel in
order to complete the same mission as the avgas airplane.

Yes, but fuel is not usually stored at the very front end of the plane (think
CG).

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old May 11th 06, 10:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Montblack,

Clipboard and a white lab coat are all you'll need. Go poke around and
report back.

I was more vague than I could have been because I have been asked to...

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old May 11th 06, 04:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

("Thomas Borchert" wrote)
I was more vague than I could have been because I have been asked to...

http://www.snowcrest.net/donnelly/piglatin.html
"isthay ouldshay orkway" :-)

Ontblackmay
Old May 11th 06, 06:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Matt B. wrote:

There's a significant difference between tubronormalizing and

turbosupercharging and evidently that's what Cirrus is going after.

I don't think the turbo mod was from Cirrus, it was aftermarket. Other
than limiting boost to produce a maximum manifold pressure of X
(turbonormalized engine), what other significant differences are there
between the two systems?

Cirrus demo Dan Luke Piloting 12 December 4th 05 05:26 AM
New G-1000 182 & Cirrus SR-22 GTS Dan Luke Piloting 24 June 27th 05 07:18 PM
Cirrus SR22 Purchase advice needed. C J Campbell Piloting 122 May 10th 04 11:30 PM
New Cessna panel C J Campbell Owning 48 October 24th 03 04:43 PM