Transponder

Old October 17th 05, 01:29 AM
Tom Cummings

Default Transponder

My King KT-76A transponder has a stuck "Ident" button.
It stuck when activated for ATC on the last flight and the button appears to
have colapsed sideways underneath the cover panel. It is no longer visible
in the opening now. ATC says the unit indicates an "Indent" signal
presently.
Does this require an avionics shop to repair or could it be a simple matter
such as removing the unit, then remove the cover plate and look for a
colapsed return spring?
Thanks,
Tom

Old October 17th 05, 02:17 AM

Tom Cummings wrote:

My King KT-76A transponder has a stuck "Ident" button.
It stuck when activated for ATC on the last flight and the button appears to
have colapsed sideways underneath the cover panel. It is no longer visible
in the opening now. ATC says the unit indicates an "Indent" signal
presently.
Does this require an avionics shop to repair or could it be a simple matter
such as removing the unit, then remove the cover plate and look for a
colapsed return spring?
Thanks,
Tom

When I read a message like this it scares me to think you're sharing IFR
airspace. Hopefully, it's in not in conjested airspace.

Old October 17th 05, 04:58 AM
Jimmy

My King KT-76A transponder has a stuck "Ident" button.
It stuck when activated for ATC on the last flight and the button appears

have colapsed sideways underneath the cover panel. It is no longer visible
in the opening now. ATC says the unit indicates an "Indent" signal
presently.
Does this require an avionics shop to repair or could it be a simple

matter
such as removing the unit, then remove the cover plate and look for a
colapsed return spring?
Thanks,
Tom

If you have any skills with a phillips head screw driver, yank it out and
try to fix it yourself.

Old October 17th 05, 05:29 AM
Ray

When I read a message like this it scares me to think you're sharing IFR
airspace. Hopefully, it's in not in conjested airspace.

I don't see why it should be a big deal. ATC has the capability to
receive multiple idents simultaneously. I would imagine most
controllers can deal with this kind of problem without skipping a beat -
even if you're VFR and not in contact with ATC.

- Ray
Old October 17th 05, 10:47 AM
Dale Scroggins

Jimmy wrote:
My King KT-76A transponder has a stuck "Ident" button.
It stuck when activated for ATC on the last flight and the button appears

have colapsed sideways underneath the cover panel. It is no longer visible
in the opening now. ATC says the unit indicates an "Indent" signal
presently.
Does this require an avionics shop to repair or could it be a simple

matter

such as removing the unit, then remove the cover plate and look for a
colapsed return spring?
Thanks,
Tom

If you have any skills with a phillips head screw driver, yank it out and
try to fix it yourself.

Opening the case (by removing the faceplate) generally can only be done
legally by an appropriately rated repair station. From the OP's
description, he may have some damaged parts. Taking the front end of
some transponders apart can be pretty involved.

But, what the heck. The OP may not get caught. And he may not break
anything. And he may find the part he needs from some scrap
transponder. Rules and regulations only need be followed if it's not
too much expense or trouble, right?
Old October 17th 05, 01:20 PM
Michelle P

Anybody can legally disassemble anything aviation that they like. It is
the assembly that requires a license or certification.
Michelle (A&P, ATP)

Old October 17th 05, 02:26 PM

Dale Scroggins wrote:

But, what the heck. The OP may not get caught. And he may not break
anything. And he may find the part he needs from some scrap
transponder. Rules and regulations only need be followed if it's not
too much expense or trouble, right?

That seems to sum it up. Scrimp/cheat on the maintenance so you can affor $4.00
fuel.

Old October 17th 05, 02:28 PM

Michelle P wrote:

Anybody can legally disassemble anything aviation that they like. It is
the assembly that requires a license or certification.
Michelle (A&P, ATP)

I presume that is tongue-in-cheek. If I were to tear down an engine without
you being around wouldn't your certification of the reassembly require a
whole lot more work to do it correctly?

Operation without a transponder flyer Piloting 11 September 14th 04 08:48 AM
Transponder test after static system opened? Jack I Owning 6 March 14th 04 03:09 PM
Transponder petition Ian Cant Soaring 11 February 28th 04 06:38 AM
More on transponder petition Ian Cant Soaring 1 February 27th 04 06:37 PM