Hand off...

Old December 5th 05, 01:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Hand off...

Well, I have been giving primary instruction to my son... Started him
ab initio in the Apache... He has reached the point where he can get it
out, gas and preflight, start and run up, taxi and takeoff, navigate
across downstate Michigan, around Detroit, Toledo, Cleveland , and
back, do stalls, enter and fly the pattern, configure for landing, make
the appropriate radio calls, and land...

The understanding was that I would teach him every bad habit known to
man and then turn him over to a lucky instructor... After an hour and
a half of grinding around the pattern on Sunday I decided I had done
just that...
"I'll ask Wally if he has time to go out with you."
His eyes got big.. "I'm not ready for an instructor."
"Sure you are... I'm plumb out of bad habits to teach you."... He had
no argument to counter that...
Wally was sitting in the lounge mumbling about going for lunch when I
said, "Hey, Wally you got the time to take Dennis out for a while?"...
The lounge got silent, all eyes on Wally... Wally kinda hunched down in
his chair...
"Well, sure... Ummm, but none of the airplanes are out."
"I'll help you get one out."
OK... Well, none of them have been plugged in."
"Mine is never plugged in and it runs."
His shoulders sagged... Check and mate...
So, we pushed the hangar doors open and pulled the Warrior out... I
turned Dennis over to him and became scarce...
Wally put him through a half hour airplane quiz out on an 18 degree
ramp... Then they fired up and went... Later I saw them doing touch
and goes... Finally they came back in... Dennis became scarce...
"So, how'd it go?", I asked Wally...
He shrugged, said it was good, that he needs to look to one side during
the flare , and that he had a time slot open on Wednesday afternoon...

On the way home I asked Dennis, "So, how'd it go?"...
He shrugged... "Well . . . . . . It was different... The single
engine feels a lot different from the Apache... We went out and did
takeoff and departure stalls, accellerated stalls, slow stalls, and
slow flight... Then we came back for landings... boy, there sure isn't
much to do compared to the Apache... Wally is a lot different from
you... I retard the throttle and pull carb heat, and he pushes it
off." (I am a fanatic about carb heat anytime the throttle is
retarded.) "Wally talks non stop and all you do is grunt and point."
(I do?)
"Wally, really rolls the airplane around and you are always telling me,
"Not so steep... Standard rate turns. Watch the pitch"
Wally keeps telling me to look out of the airplane and you are always
grunting and pointing at the altimeter, the air speed, the manifold
pressure, the prop.. Wally is a lot more fun to fly with!"
And that was it... So he is kicked out of the nest and making his own
way... Now I'm really nervous...

denny - grunting and pointing

Old December 5th 05, 02:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Thanks for sharing your experiences with your son's flight training.
It sounds like he's well on his way to becoming a certificated airman.
On 5 Dec 2005 05:05:33 -0800, "Denny" wrote in
.com::

Wally is a lot different from
you... I retard the throttle and pull carb heat, and he pushes it
off." (I am a fanatic about carb heat anytime the throttle is
retarded.)

Naturally, there some differences between operating an Apache and a
PA28; the latter only requires carburetor heat if there is an
indication of carb ice. Dennis needs to get a copy of the Warrior
POH, and familiarize himself with the differences.

What's Dennis doing about getting his written exam out of the way? He
should be studying the Gleim books:
http://www.gleim.com/aviation/products.php?cat=PP#Books if he's not
already. I presume Dennis has a Student Pilot certificate and has
been logging his Apache PIC time. How many hours does he have logged
now?
Old December 5th 05, 02:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

And that was it... So he is kicked out of the nest and making his own
way... Now I'm really nervous...

Great story, as always.

How old is your boy, Denny?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old December 5th 05, 03:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Congrats Denny, he'll do fine.
Even through all that grunting and pointing, I can tell you're proud of him.
I look forward to that day with my son.
Jim

oups.com...

Old December 5th 05, 04:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Yeah, that was his first time in a Warrior, and Wally just did a
preflight and ramp quiz and went.. I sprang it on Wally and he didn't
have the time for the usual classroom spiel... I am sure he will have
Dennis read the POH.
I have a high school classmate that got real dead when he had carb ice
in a Cherokee and then tried to stretch the glide... I have had carb
ice in Cubs, T-Crafts, Aeroncas, Cherokees, SkyHawks, Skylanes,
Apaches, and a bunch I don't remember right at the moment (al what's
hiz names disease)... As far as I'm concerned the carb heat is on
anytime the throttle comes back... Never saw a crash from using carb
heat...

So, Gleim is the one? Actually, he has a book and is half way through
it... When he finishes then I will order the DVD with the certificate
option, for him to do the second time around... He needs to get his
ASEL, then we will send him for 'legal' instruction in the Apache... My
intent was to get him to the point that he can handle the airplane
reasonably well and then turn him over to a CFI, not for me to prepare
him for the check ride...

denny

Old December 5th 05, 06:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On 5 Dec 2005 08:57:00 -0800, "Denny" wrote in
om::

I have a high school classmate that got real dead when he had carb ice
in a Cherokee and then tried to stretch the glide... I have had carb
ice in Cubs, T-Crafts, Aeroncas, Cherokees, SkyHawks, Skylanes,
Apaches, and a bunch I don't remember right at the moment (al what's
hiz names disease)... As far as I'm concerned the carb heat is on
anytime the throttle comes back... Never saw a crash from using carb
heat...

I understand. It can be difficult to detect incipient carb heat
issues at low power near the ground in time to apply it.

So, Gleim is the one?

Wally may have other ideas, but I recommend Gleim for test
preparation. Their red books present only the information covered on
the tests, but with sufficient detail to assure complete
understanding. I've no experience with their complete courses, but if
the red books are any indication, they should be clearly written and
logically present the information.

He needs to get his ASEL, then we will send him for 'legal' instruction
in the Apache... My intent was to get him to the point that he can handle
the airplane reasonably well and then turn him over to a CFI, not for me
to prepare him for the check ride...

According to:
http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text... 1.1.2.1.1.30
§ 61.51 Pilot logbooks

it seems that Dennis would have had to be a (certificated?) student
pilot to log the time you instructed him. I hadn't realized that.