New Engine on New homebuilt

Old August 11th 05, 08:27 PM
David Koehler

Default New Engine on New homebuilt

Hi All,
I'm not there yet, but, I have a new Lycoming O-360 and in the process of
building a homebuilt kit. Lycoming says to break in the engine at full power
and gives procedures on how to do it. The kit needs slow taxi, then fast
taxi, glazing of the brakes. After take off there are procedures to do at
lower power.... I know I'm not the FIRST in this dilemma, so what takes a
preference? If you wait to do the full power to seat the rings, is that ok?
Thanks for any response, I'm at a loss,
david

Old August 11th 05, 08:48 PM
Gig 601XL Builder

"David Koehler" wrote in message
Hi All,
I'm not there yet, but, I have a new Lycoming O-360 and in the process of
building a homebuilt kit. Lycoming says to break in the engine at full
power
and gives procedures on how to do it. The kit needs slow taxi, then fast
taxi, glazing of the brakes. After take off there are procedures to do at
lower power.... I know I'm not the FIRST in this dilemma, so what takes a
preference? If you wait to do the full power to seat the rings, is that
ok?
Thanks for any response, I'm at a loss,
david

Tie the aircraft to a pole and...

Old August 11th 05, 10:37 PM
N523RV

David,

Not to steer you away from this forum but this very topic is just
getting kicked off in the Lycoming group on Yahoo.

Matthew
RV-9A (Wiring avionics)
www.n523rv.com

Old August 11th 05, 10:38 PM
Roman

If the engine is from Lycoming, it should have had a few hours put on
it on the test stand and you should have gotten a report on the test
run with the engine.

Old August 11th 05, 11:37 PM
Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired

Gig 601XL Builder wrote:
"David Koehler" wrote in message

Hi All,
I'm not there yet, but, I have a new Lycoming O-360 and in the process of
building a homebuilt kit. Lycoming says to break in the engine at full
power
and gives procedures on how to do it. The kit needs slow taxi, then fast
taxi, glazing of the brakes. After take off there are procedures to do at
lower power.... I know I'm not the FIRST in this dilemma, so what takes a
preference? If you wait to do the full power to seat the rings, is that
ok?
Thanks for any response, I'm at a loss,
david

Tie the aircraft to a pole and...

I know just the Pole. Call Chuck S.

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired
Old August 12th 05, 12:44 AM
Kyle Boatright

"David Koehler" wrote in message
Hi All,
I'm not there yet, but, I have a new Lycoming O-360 and in the process of
building a homebuilt kit. Lycoming says to break in the engine at full
power
and gives procedures on how to do it. The kit needs slow taxi, then fast
taxi, glazing of the brakes. After take off there are procedures to do at
lower power.... I know I'm not the FIRST in this dilemma, so what takes a
preference? If you wait to do the full power to seat the rings, is that
ok?
Thanks for any response, I'm at a loss,
david

The brake break-in procedure only requires a few minutes of taxi time and a
couple of stops, IIRC. On my RV-6 (I assembled the airplane rebuilt the
engine myself), I probably ran the engine 10-15 minutes before the first
flight. First was a short run to make sure it ran and didn't have major
leaks. Then was a short run to taxi the airplane the length of the taxiway,
performing the pad break-in procedure.

The third time I cranked the engine, I taxied to the end of the field, ran
up the engine, and launched into the blue. Of course, I had done LOTS of
work to verify that all of the controls had good continuity and the aircraft
was properly rigged. I've known too many people who had trouble due to
sloppy rigging on the first flight.

It is attention grabbing to make the first flight of any homebuilt aircraft,
moreso one where you built the engine too...

KB

Old August 12th 05, 02:14 AM
Jerry Springer

"Gig 601XL Builder" wr.giacona@coxDOTnet wrote

Tie the aircraft to a pole and...

Not a good idea for a new or rebuilt engine. It needs air flowing
to keep cylinders cool. Happened to a local guy who thought it was neat
to taxi all over the area in his new airplane, overheated cylinders and
it burned a lot of oil from the very beginnoing. He had to rebuild the
cylinders.

Jerry
Old August 12th 05, 02:50 AM
Morgans

"Gig 601XL Builder" wr.giacona@coxDOTnet wrote

Tie the aircraft to a pole and...

But keep a good eye on temps. Without flying, the cooling air is not as
"good" at keeping you new baby from getting hot under the collar. Or so I
have heard. g
--
Jim in NC

Old August 12th 05, 02:51 AM
Morgans

"Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired" wrote

I know just the Pole. Call Chuck S.

Not a bad idea! It would take some doing to move *that* pole. g
--
Jim in NC
Old August 12th 05, 02:54 AM
Morgans

"Kyle Boatright" wrote

It is attention grabbing to make the first flight of any homebuilt

aircraft,
moreso one where you built the engine too...

Moreso? Don't they make racing engines, or something? vbg
--
Jim in NC