seat belts and restraints

Old December 8th 04, 05:21 PM
Bill Daniels

Default seat belts and restraints

I know there has been long threads about belts, 4-point, 5-point etc... I
still think there is more that needs to be discussed.

I am nursing a stiff neck from repeatedly banging my head against the canopy
on a particularly violent encounter with wave rotor yesterday. The tow
pilot is also nursing bruises from banging around in the Pawnee cockpit.
After release, I got rolled and pitched past the vertical several times - it
was that rough. I started to think that I might get knocked out if my head
hit the canopy any harder. To make things worse, I still didn't contact the
wave.

My 4-point belts were as tight as I could get them but they still didn't do
enough to keep my head from hitting the canopy. 5-point belts would have
helped, but probably not enough.

I'm starting to think about a pair of short arms that swing down over the
pilots shoulders and lock in that position. The idea is to provide an
additional, robust restraint to prevent the pilots head from hitting the
canopy. Opening the canopy would release the locks so the arms would spring
up and back out of the way.

Bill Daniels

Old December 8th 04, 06:57 PM
Vaughn Simon

"Bill Daniels" wrote in message

I'm starting to think about a pair of short arms that swing down over the
pilots shoulders and lock in that position. The idea is to provide an
additional, robust restraint to prevent the pilots head from hitting the
canopy. Opening the canopy would release the locks so the arms would

spring
up and back out of the way.

Wouldn't a bicycle helmet be much simpler and lighter?

Vaughn

Bill Daniels

Old December 8th 04, 07:12 PM
Bill Daniels

"Vaughn Simon" wrote in message

"Bill Daniels" wrote in message

I'm starting to think about a pair of short arms that swing down over

the
pilots shoulders and lock in that position. The idea is to provide an
additional, robust restraint to prevent the pilots head from hitting the
canopy. Opening the canopy would release the locks so the arms would

spring
up and back out of the way.

Wouldn't a bicycle helmet be much simpler and lighter?

I've never seen one that was small enough to fit under the canopy. Anyway,
that doesn't protect your neck.

Bill Daniels

Old December 8th 04, 07:57 PM

Hi,
I use a Tilley Hat. It has a 1/8" dense foam on top. IT help some but I
dont know about rotor turbulence. Tom Knauff sell them.
S6

Old December 8th 04, 10:31 PM
Jim Vincent

Hi,
I use a Tilley Hat. It has a 1/8" dense foam on top. IT help some but I
dont know about rotor turbulence. Tom Knauff sell them.
S6

Another trick is to just put a piece of foam in your hat.

Jim Vincent
N483SZ
illspam
Old December 8th 04, 11:05 PM
Bill Daniels

OK, how does this save your neck or avoid breaking the canopy? Isn't it
better to avoid hitting the canopy in the first place?

Bill Daniels

Old December 9th 04, 12:07 AM
Jim Vincent

Bill,

It'll reduce the chances of breaking the canopy since the foam softens the
impact. As far as saving your neck, have you tried scootching down in the seat
or getting a thinner chute?

Jim Vincent
N483SZ
illspam
Old December 9th 04, 01:02 AM
BTIZ

I remember an article somewhere.. can't find it.. the 5 point in a glider
really only keeps you from submarining under the lap belt in case of a
landing accident as you rush forward from a rapid stop..

although there is some credence that the 5th strap will help keep the center
of the seat belt low on your waist/hips.. and hold your hips down, but it's
the shoulder straps that keep your head off the canopy.. your body still
articulates around your waist when you hit that bump that puts your head on
(or into) the canopy

BT

Old December 9th 04, 01:06 AM
Bill Daniels

"Jim Vincent" wrote in message
Bill,

It'll reduce the chances of breaking the canopy since the foam softens the
impact. As far as saving your neck, have you tried scootching down in the

seat
or getting a thinner chute?

Jim Vincent
N483SZ
illspam

Even cushioned blow will break a canopy if it flexes the plastic enough. I
have a thin 'chute and I had reached my scrootchability limit.

Bill Daniels

Old December 9th 04, 01:08 AM
Stefan

BTIZ wrote:

I remember an article somewhere.. can't find it.. the 5 point in a glider
really only keeps you from submarining under the lap belt

.... at the price of your virility.

Stefan