Taxi Clearance

Old September 24th 05, 01:01 PM
Ron Rosenfeld

Default Taxi Clearance

I just noticed this today:

AIM 5-2-2. Taxi Clearance

Pilots on IFR flight plans should communicate with the control tower on the
appropriate ground control or clearance delivery frequency, prior to
starting engines, to receive engine start time, taxi and/or clearance
information.

---------------------------------

In the Azores, Portugal, when I checked out at a local flying club, it was
mandatory to contact the control tower prior to engine start, even when
flying VFR. (And it was mandatory to receive a clearance to "start
engines" before doing so).

However, in the US, I was not taught, nor have I ever called in "prior to
starting engines" unless that requirement was explicitly stated on the ATIS
(as it has been occasionally at KBOS).

Is this a holdover from former times? Or something else altogether?

Old September 24th 05, 05:13 PM
Bob Gardner

I think this is aimed at the turbine crowd, not the piston pilots, although
the AIM does not make any distinction.

Bob Gardner

Old September 24th 05, 06:23 PM
TMG

In Europe start up permission is always mandatory at controlled airfields.
Not just for turbines, also for piston...

Old September 24th 05, 06:29 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"TMG" wrote in message
. ..

In Europe start up permission is always mandatory at controlled airfields.
Not just for turbines, also for piston...

What's the reasoning behind that, if any?

Old September 24th 05, 07:22 PM
Newps

TMG wrote:

In Europe start up permission is always mandatory at controlled airfields.
Not just for turbines, also for piston...

Poor souls.

Old September 24th 05, 09:00 PM

I was learning to fly at the Ramstein Aero Club, at Ramstein AB, West
Germany when this policy was started, sometime between 1984 and 1986. I
don't know for certain why they started making everyone from our F-4E
Phantom pilots on down to student pilots in Piper Tomahawks request
permission to start engines from the tower, but I'd heard it was intended as
a security measure to help prevent terrorists from attempting to steal an
aircraft. That would be Red Army Faction, not Al Queda, way back then. I'd
also thought back then that it was just a local policy at Ramstein, or
perhaps throughout USAFE, but from the orginal posting in this thread I see
that it was impemented all over Europe.
Scott Wilson

Old September 24th 05, 11:40 PM
Brenor Brophy

I'm based in California, but I've flown from controlled fields in both
Ireland (EIWF) and Sweden (ESSB) and I never had to get an engine start
clearance. So I'm not so sure that this is a pan European thing.

-Brenor

Old September 25th 05, 01:15 AM
Lynne

Europe uses a system of airport and airway slots to avoid delays. If
your airway or airport slot has expired, a new one must be
renegotiated. Once you taxi in Europe, you takeoff as soon as you get
to the runway. So to avoid delays at the end of the runway, one must
call pre-start for clearance and to permit ATC coordination.

Lynne

Steven P. McNicoll wrote:
. ..

Old September 25th 05, 01:29 AM
Mike Rapoport

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in message
ink.net...

"TMG" wrote in message
. ..

In Europe start up permission is always mandatory at controlled
airfields.
Not just for turbines, also for piston...

What's the reasoning behind that, if any?

They seem to have a rigid system of airways between city pairs so ground
holds are fairly common.

Mike
MU-2

Old September 25th 05, 01:32 AM
john smith

I always call on the handheld to get my clearance prior to engine start.
That way, if there is a delay, I am not paying to keep the engine
running while I wait.