Bluetooth Wireless Headsets

Old May 30th 07, 08:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

Default Bluetooth Wireless Headsets

On Wed, 30 May 2007 09:12:31 -0700, "RST Engineering"
wrote in
:

In my opinion, the hot setup is a small box (cigarette package size) that
clips to the back of your seat, your belt loop, or your shirt pocket and
your CURRENT HEADSET plugs into that box. Two main advantages: One, it
uses your expensive current headset in any format you desire AND if the
"wireless module" goes TU, you take the headset plugs out of the module,
break the wiretie cord, plug them into the aircraft jacks and you are back
in business. While connected to the module, you can coil the headset cable
up and tie it with rubber bands or thread that can be easily broken in the
aforementioned TU mode of operation.

That sounds like in intelligent solution.

I suppose there'll have to be another little box to plug into the
headset jacks. The audio portion seems relatively straightforward,
but have you designed a robust method of keying the mic _only_ when
intended, that won't be affected by stray transmissions?

I have just gotten my response from TI as to their recommendations for the
technology and their recommendation is to go straight ISM and not fool
around with Bluetooth or Zigbee...this from their senior applications
engineer.

It's hard to argue with Motorola, but it would seem that with so many
cell phones supporting BlueTooth now, the additional ability to
communicate with the phone might be a plus.

Old May 30th 07, 08:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Montblack

("Larry Dighera" wrote)
It's hard to argue with Motorola, but it would seem that with so many cell
phones supporting BlueTooth now, the additional ability to communicate
with the phone might be a plus.

Great. Now you can get cut off in the pattern - by people talking on their
cell phones. :-)

Montblack

Old May 30th 07, 09:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
RST Engineering

--
There are only 10 kinds of people in the world.
Those who count in binary and those who don't

I suppose there'll have to be another little box to plug into the
headset jacks. The audio portion seems relatively straightforward,
but have you designed a robust method of keying the mic _only_ when
intended, that won't be affected by stray transmissions?

No, this is going to be an "owner airplane" design only. I haven't decided
yet what the "base station" is going to look like, but I could be convinced
to make it an option with an audio panel so that you get all the functions
in one rack mounted box, complete with volume and squelch control on the
intercom line.

With four mic channels coming in and two PTT switches on the front two
control wheels, it is quite easy to mute the intercom when somebody hits the
PTT switch (either one) and then logically decide which of the two PTT
switches are active. You can optionally prioritize the PTT switches or if
both of them are active, both mic audios will be linked to the transmitter
as well.

It's hard to argue with Motorola, but it would seem that with so many
cell phones supporting BlueTooth now, the additional ability to
communicate with the phone might be a plus.

Nope. KISS and BURP.

Jim

Old May 30th 07, 10:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

On Wed, 30 May 2007 14:23:51 -0500, "Montblack"
wrote in
:

Great. Now you can get cut off in the pattern - by people talking on their
cell phones. :-)

Or contact approach/center when your radio fails.

Old May 30th 07, 10:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
john smith[_2_]

In article ,
"RST Engineering" wrote:

With four mic channels coming in and two PTT switches on the front two
control wheels, it is quite easy to mute the intercom when somebody hits the
PTT switch (either one) and then logically decide which of the two PTT
switches are active. You can optionally prioritize the PTT switches or if
both of them are active, both mic audios will be linked to the transmitter
as well.

PLEASE!!! Make it six place! Switchable/configurable, however.
Those of us who rent Cherokee Six's need something that will serve all
the seats.
Old May 30th 07, 10:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
RST Engineering

Sorry, I can't please everybody. If I made it 6 channel, the fellers with
the Caravans would want 8, 10, 12...

Besides, this is not a RENTER's box. At least the "command module" is going
to have to be permanently mounted into the aircraft.

Jim

--
There are only 10 kinds of people in the world.
Those who count in binary and those who don't

Old May 30th 07, 11:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Burns[_2_]

Crap... and here I thought I might finally get rid of the 4 place intercom
in the Aztec, jumper cables suck.
JimB

"RST Engineering" wrote in message
Sorry, I can't please everybody. If I made it 6 channel, the fellers with
the Caravans would want 8, 10, 12...

Besides, this is not a RENTER's box. At least the "command module" is

going
to have to be permanently mounted into the aircraft.

Jim

--
There are only 10 kinds of people in the world.
Those who count in binary and those who don't

Old May 31st 07, 01:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
**THE-RFI-EMI-GUY**

I am interested I had been looking at a Bluetooth solution for a land
mobile headset application. Problem is that you need PTT and Bluetooth
doesn't seem to have that feature.

RST Engineering wrote:

--
Joe Leikhim K4SAT
"The RFI-EMI-GUY"©

"Follow The Money" ;-P

Old May 31st 07, 01:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
RST Engineering

You don't need PTT for ANY intercom function; you only need it when you need
to turn on the COM transmitter. You an airplane sparky?

Jim

Old May 31st 07, 03:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
**THE-RFI-EMI-GUY**

I work in the Land Mobile Radio field. FCC licensed etc. PTT is required
for the LMR comm's. VOX might work if audio is buffered.

Bluetooth [email protected] Home Built 1 August 31st 05 12:40 AM
Bluetooth headsets? Jim N. Piloting 9 July 24th 05 08:03 PM
PIREP: WxWorx w/Bluetooth Nathan Young Piloting 5 June 21st 05 07:50 PM
Bluetooth. Stan Kochanowski Soaring 2 March 24th 05 04:31 PM
BlueTooth effects? Hilton Piloting 9 May 23rd 04 07:37 PM