Beacons/anticollision lights and engines

Old October 14th 06, 03:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Emily

Default Beacons/anticollision lights and engines

A Lieberma wrote:
A Lieberma wrote in
. 18:

Trying again.... Stupid newsreader puts a line break in long URLs.

http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text/text-idx?
&c=ecfr&tpl=/ecfrbrowse/Title14/14tab_02.tpl

Anybody know of a better newsgroup reader (freeware) then what I am using?
Xnews just drives me nuts sometimes esepcially with word wrapping.

Allen

I just use Thunderbird. I was going point out your second post was
still wrong, but it looks like you figured it out. :-)
Old October 14th 06, 03:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Neil Gould

Recently, Mxsmanic posted:

Emily writes:

Can't he just read the regulations? He's obviously got access to
internet.

§ 91.209 Aircraft lights.

No person may:

(a) During the period from sunset to sunrise (or, in Alaska, during
the period a prominent unlighted object cannot be seen from a
distance of 3 statute miles or the sun is more than 6 degrees below
the horizon)-

(1) Operate an aircraft unless it has lighted position lights;

(2) Park or move an aircraft in, or in dangerous proximity to, a
night flight operations area of an airport unless the aircraft-

(i) Is clearly illuminated;

(ii) Has lighted position lights; or

(iii) is in an area that is marked by obstruction lights;

(3) Anchor an aircraft unless the aircraft-

(i) Has lighted anchor lights; or

(ii) Is in an area where anchor lights are not required on vessels;
or

(b) Operate an aircraft that is equipped with an anticollision light
system, unless it has lighted anticollision lights. However, the
anticollision lights need not be lighted when the pilot-in-command
determines that, because of operating conditions, it would be in the
interest of safety to turn the lights off.

Nothing in this quoted section mentions engines, so it doesn't answer
my question.

Then, go read the rest of the regs to discover what "Operate and
aircraft..." means.

Neil

Old October 14th 06, 03:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Emily

Neil Gould wrote:
Recently, Mxsmanic posted:

Emily writes:

[...]

No good deed, it appears....
Old October 14th 06, 04:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Jim Macklin

I don't run strobes in IMC at night because the flashing
back scatter causes me problems. I also don't run strobes
near other airplanes on the ground at night because it
blinds the other pilot. I do run normal positions lights
and rotating beacons. At night I also run recognition
lights if I have them. Some of the planes I flew had logo
lights on the tail and I would run them too.

"Emily" wrote in message
. ..
| Kingfish wrote:
| Mxsmanic wrote:
| I understand that one normally turns on beacons or
anticollision
| lights whenever an aircraft's engines are running. Is
this a
| regulation, or just a polite custom?
|

| Hmmm. Do you turn on your virtual strobe before you
start your virtual
| engine, so as not to endanger anyone with your virtual
prop?

Old October 14th 06, 04:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Jim Macklin

I do get the feeling that he is a future suicide hijacker
and he wants to blend in around real pilots.

"Emily" wrote in message
|A Lieberma wrote:
| Emily wrote in
| :
|
| Can't he just read the regulations? He's obviously got
access to
| internet.
|
| Maybe we all should answer his questions just like you
did Emily.

| Just point him to FAR / AIMS.
|
| Problem is, he won't look it up on his own. It's not hard
to find the
| CFR online, and it's not hard to order a FAR/AIM on the
internet. Next
| thing I know, he'll probably be arguing that the reference
I posted is
| incorrect.
|
| Personally, I'd rather look it up myself than wait for
someone here to

Old October 14th 06, 04:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Jim Macklin

He should setup his sim at a disco/nudie bar. Plenty of
smoke to simulate IMC, strobe lights and distractions.

He can even do an alcohol experiment and see why drinking
and flying don't work well together.

"Robert Chambers" wrote in
message
om...
| Haha, in a 737... you mean in Bill Gates somewhat grainy
representation
| of a 737 you mean.
|
| prior to engine start the beacon goes on, once you start
up if it's
| night time put all the lights on for taxi, if there are
others that
| might be impacted by the strobes turn them off, if you're
flying in a
| cloud (or in your case a pretend cloud) turn the strobes
off to prevent
| the reflection of the strobes from giving you vertigo -
you might fall
| off your chair.
|

| Mxsmanic wrote:
| Kingfish writes:
|

| Hmmm. Do you turn on your virtual strobe before you
start your virtual
| engine, so as not to endanger anyone with your virtual
prop?

| I turn on the beacon. I understood that the strobe is
for low
| visibility conditions and that a lot of pilots are
irritated by
| strobes operating on the ground. Whereas the beacon
simply indicates
| that the engines are turning (in addition to improving
visibility).

| In a 737, I turn on the anticollision lights before
engine start.

Old October 14th 06, 04:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Emily

Jim Macklin wrote:
I don't run strobes in IMC at night because the flashing
back scatter causes me problems. I also don't run strobes
near other airplanes on the ground at night because it
blinds the other pilot. I do run normal positions lights
and rotating beacons. At night I also run recognition
lights if I have them. Some of the planes I flew had logo
lights on the tail and I would run them too.

I think most pilots have problems with strobes in IMC at night. I don't
run them then or on the ground but I know a few who do. An beacon is
sufficient to meet the regs in both those cases, although I'm sure there
are some pilots who think strobes are required at all times. There's no
other explanation for those few blinding the rest of us on the ground.
Old October 14th 06, 04:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Emily

Jim Macklin wrote:

He can even do an alcohol experiment and see why drinking
and flying don't work well together.

Maybe I'll do that tonight!!!!! Except I can't play MSFS without
crashing it anyway, so that's probably a bad experiment.
Old October 14th 06, 04:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Emily

Jim Macklin wrote:
I do get the feeling that he is a future suicide hijacker
and he wants to blend in around real pilots.

Wouldn't a real hijacker just research this on this own so as to not
arouse suspicion? Or at least pretend to be a student pilot....
Old October 14th 06, 04:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Spam Magnet

In article Ly7Yg.2988$XX2.2011@dukeread04,
Jim Macklin wrote:
He should setup his sim at a disco/nudie bar. Plenty of
smoke to simulate IMC, strobe lights and distractions.

No dice. Discos and nudie bars have real live girls. They
scare him.

[VERY LONG} MD airplanes, complete and projects, engines, gliders, many other items. [email protected] Aviation Marketplace 0 June 10th 06 10:51 PM
Landing lights Robert Barker Owning 20 May 11th 06 02:33 AM
Jet sailplane update Bob C Soaring 0 April 13th 06 08:06 AM
Buying an L-2 Robert M. Gary Piloting 13 May 25th 04 04:03 AM
36HP VW Engine Claton Cadmus Home Built 12 October 24th 03 05:18 AM