Rule of thumb fudge factor

Old July 3rd 06, 10:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Slick

Default Rule of thumb fudge factor

What is the rule of thumb to reduce the L/D when plotting a cross country
flight?

Old July 3rd 06, 11:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Half.

Old July 4th 06, 01:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

With experience you can evaluate the conditions of the day and adjust
accordingly. If winds are light and lift is good you can use 2000ft
margin to arrive at the next landable location. Even on a good day I
use 85% of the L/D plus a safety margin.

If you examine the flights of experienced pilots they at time appear to
take much larger risks but it is because they can judge the conditions
and anticipate changes that they are able to do this successfully.

Be careful at first as you can get into trouble fast especially on days
where the wind is blowing.

wrote:
Half.

Old July 4th 06, 02:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BTIZ

1/2 the planned L/d
BT
"Slick" wrote in message
What is the rule of thumb to reduce the L/D when plotting a cross country
flight?

News==----
Newsgroups
=----

Old July 4th 06, 02:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_1_]

Slick wrote:
What is the rule of thumb to reduce the L/D when plotting a cross country
flight?

My experience with gliders ranging from a Ka-6e to an ASH 26 E is a
McCready setting of 4 on the glide calculator gives me a very high
probablity of making it to my selected landing place (usually an
airport). I don't set the speed-to-fly at 4, but at 2 or less, depending
on the conditions. My arrival height setting is 1000 feet agl.

In areas with poor landing possibilities, like a glide over a forest,
lake, and other unlandable areas, I'll increase the MC setting to 5,
perhaps even 6. If wave is about, it can be a real guessing game, and
I'll generally use even higher settings. A setting of 4 is about 60% of
maximum L/D.

Be sure your planning allows for the usual winds.

Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA

www.motorglider.org - Download "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane
Operation"
Old July 4th 06, 05:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jean

I use 2 different calculations:
- Safety to reach a landable field: Typically 1/2, plus or minus according
to the wind
- Realistic transition (where a miss wouldn't be dangerous): 2/3
Jean