A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Piloting
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Electric airplanes will be next



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old October 19th 10, 01:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mark
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 815
Default Electric airplanes will be next

Are you ready to wheego?
http://wheego.net/more/gallery-2/

Or pick an electric car from this
old list from 2 years ago?
http://venturebeat.com/2008/01/10/27...over-the-road/

World's fastest electric car:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOPFXTpuNgg

Here's a nice one!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Hxf5...eature=related

Sorry, but these links only show a fraction
of what is actually happening to date. Every
single one of these cars is using battery
technology that is about to be replaced with
a ten-fold battery density improvement.

---
Mark
Ads
  #2  
Old October 19th 10, 02:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mark
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 815
Default Electric airplanes will be next

On Oct 19, 8:17*am, Mark wrote:
Are you ready to wheego?http://wheego.net/more/gallery-2/

Or pick an electric car from this
old list from 2 years ago?http://venturebeat.com/2008/01/10/27...anies-ready-to...

World's fastest electric car:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOPFXTpuNgg

Here's a nice one!http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Hxf5...eature=related

Sorry, but these links only show a fraction
of what is actually happening to date. Every
single one of these cars is using battery
technology that is about to be replaced with
a ten-fold battery density improvement.

---
Mark


New electric cars are better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RnQuDvvg6M&NR=1
  #3  
Old October 19th 10, 03:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ari Silverstein
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 190
Default Electric airplanes will be next

On Tue, 19 Oct 2010 05:17:04 -0700 (PDT), Mark wrote:

Sorry,


No work...again...today? lol
--
A fireside chat not with Ari!
http://tr.im/holj
Motto: Live To Spooge It!
  #4  
Old October 19th 10, 05:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,879
Default Electric airplanes will be next

Mark wrote:
Are you ready to wheego?
http://wheego.net/more/gallery-2/


Oh boy, a two seat cracker box that goes 100 miles max and costs over
$30,000.

Yes sir, they will be lining up to by those things.


Or pick an electric car from this
old list from 2 years ago?
http://venturebeat.com/2008/01/10/27...over-the-road/


Most of those are not cars and several have already gone defunct.

World's fastest electric car:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOPFXTpuNgg


Whoopee, an Ariel Atom with an electric motor!

Yet another one off wonder.

Here's a nice one!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Hxf5...eature=related


Yet another over priced techo-toy that exists only as a prototype.

Sorry, but these links only show a fraction
of what is actually happening to date. Every
single one of these cars is using battery
technology that is about to be replaced with
a ten-fold battery density improvement.


Sorry, but these links only show pathetic crap.



--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
  #5  
Old October 26th 10, 07:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Alpha Propellerhead
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 32
Default Electric airplanes will be next

On Oct 19, 9:35*am, wrote:

Sorry, but these links only show pathetic crap.


True, perhaps, but electric airplanes are coming. Folks are building
them. Folks I know who build airplanes and also electric trucking
equipment are waiting for battery technology to come up a little. For
example, NiCad batteries are obsolete. Lithium ion is obsolete.
Lithium polymer (LiPo) is awesome, but, if you've ever seen one of
those things overheat and go incendiary, you'll never put one in an
airplane.

Turns out if you yank out your Lycoming, all of the fuel systems, oil
systems, fuel tanks, fuel, oil, etc, you end up with a really light
aircraft, a vacant space on each wing for batteries, plenty of room
for an electric motor/gearbox, a spare battery by the firewall to use
as your reserve and provide the ballast eliminated by the internal
combustion engine.

Ten years ago you'd have been called a treehugger or dreamer out here
for suggesting such a thing might exist, but, ten years ago LiPo was
something obese people had done. Stuff is happening and it's
comforting that the people I know who are telling me about it are out
flying their home built airplanes waiting for the next generation of
batteries hit the industry.





  #6  
Old October 26th 10, 07:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
vaughn[_3_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 153
Default Electric airplanes will be next


"Alpha Propellerhead" wrote in message
...
Lithium polymer (LiPo) is awesome, but, if you've ever seen one of
those things overheat and go incendiary, you'll never put one in an
airplane.


The same could be said for a tank full of avgas.

Vaughn






  #7  
Old October 26th 10, 08:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,879
Default Electric airplanes will be next

Alpha Propellerhead wrote:
On Oct 19, 9:35*am, wrote:

Sorry, but these links only show pathetic crap.


True, perhaps, but electric airplanes are coming. Folks are building
them. Folks I know who build airplanes and also electric trucking
equipment are waiting for battery technology to come up a little. For
example, NiCad batteries are obsolete. Lithium ion is obsolete.
Lithium polymer (LiPo) is awesome, but, if you've ever seen one of
those things overheat and go incendiary, you'll never put one in an
airplane.

Turns out if you yank out your Lycoming, all of the fuel systems, oil
systems, fuel tanks, fuel, oil, etc, you end up with a really light
aircraft, a vacant space on each wing for batteries, plenty of room
for an electric motor/gearbox, a spare battery by the firewall to use
as your reserve and provide the ballast eliminated by the internal
combustion engine.

Ten years ago you'd have been called a treehugger or dreamer out here
for suggesting such a thing might exist, but, ten years ago LiPo was
something obese people had done. Stuff is happening and it's
comforting that the people I know who are telling me about it are out
flying their home built airplanes waiting for the next generation of
batteries hit the industry.


And absent some astounding unforseen breakthrough in battery technology
they are going to grow old and die waiting for a production battery
system that will power a practical airplane other than a motor glider.

The range of pure electric cars is crap and the price makes them toys for
the "eco aware" rich.

The only pure electric car in production with anything like a useful range
is on the order of $100,000 and does not have to meet any of the requirements
that an airplane does.

Care to guess what an electric 172 with the range of a conventional 172
would cost?

The Cessna proof of concept electric 172 is shooting for a whole hour on a
charge, which gives it a legal range of about a half hour of flight before
"refueling".


--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
  #8  
Old October 26th 10, 08:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,879
Default Electric airplanes will be next

vaughn wrote:

"Alpha Propellerhead" wrote in message
...
Lithium polymer (LiPo) is awesome, but, if you've ever seen one of
those things overheat and go incendiary, you'll never put one in an
airplane.


The same could be said for a tank full of avgas.

Vaughn


A tank full of gas doesn't get hot because it is being used but batteries do.


--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
  #9  
Old October 26th 10, 08:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Orval Fairbairn[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 530
Default Electric airplanes will be next

In article
,
Alpha Propellerhead wrote:

On Oct 19, 9:35*am, wrote:

Sorry, but these links only show pathetic crap.


True, perhaps, but electric airplanes are coming. Folks are building
them. Folks I know who build airplanes and also electric trucking
equipment are waiting for battery technology to come up a little. For
example, NiCad batteries are obsolete. Lithium ion is obsolete.
Lithium polymer (LiPo) is awesome, but, if you've ever seen one of
those things overheat and go incendiary, you'll never put one in an
airplane.



Turns out if you yank out your Lycoming, all of the fuel systems, oil
systems, fuel tanks, fuel, oil, etc, you end up with a really light
aircraft, a vacant space on each wing for batteries, plenty of room
for an electric motor/gearbox, a spare battery by the firewall to use
as your reserve and provide the ballast eliminated by the internal
combustion engine.

Ten years ago you'd have been called a treehugger or dreamer out here
for suggesting such a thing might exist, but, ten years ago LiPo was
something obese people had done. Stuff is happening and it's
comforting that the people I know who are telling me about it are out
flying their home built airplanes waiting for the next generation of
batteries hit the industry.




I'm sorry, but battery technology will never get there! It like carrying
all the air you use in an IC engine (IOW, a rocket), rather than just
the fuel and gathering the air as you go (present method).

At 15:1 air/fuel ratio, you would have to carry 90# of air for every
gallon of fuel, so a battery equivalent would have to weigh (50
gallons*6# + 50*90# air = 4800#) -- just in equivalent energy.

Lycoming + prop = 450# + 300# fuel = 750#

This is assuming that you can get equivalent energy storage, which is a
LONG way off!
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FS: Electric tow Bug Dout General Aviation 0 October 16th 10 06:27 PM
electric plane [email protected] Home Built 0 January 28th 10 09:26 AM
6CH Electric RC Helicopter for $169 GTY Rotorcraft 0 October 27th 05 08:59 PM
4CH Electric RC Helicopter for $83 NONNE Piloting 1 September 12th 05 09:32 PM
Electric DG Robbie S. Owning 0 March 19th 05 03:20 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:28 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2019 AviationBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.