Diorama colour conundrum

Old October 27th 11, 09:01 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
ajsmith

Default Diorama colour conundrum

I know everybody here has a wealth of knowledge on aircraft and aviation,
but I'm really stuck on what seems on the surface to be quite an easy
problem to solve, but after some weeks of research, I am no further
forward.

I am making a 1/72 scale diorama loosely based on Duxford in WW11, but
the problem I have is the painting of hangars, Nissan huts and other
buildings. I have been told they were standard camouflage (khaki and
green), green and a sandy brown, and air force grey/blue. After making
the Airfix control tower and painting it as per the instructions, I
struggle to believe they plonked it in an airfield with that colouration.
Is anyone in a position to give me any definitive guidance please?
Many thanks in advance for any help you can give,

Tony.
Old October 27th 11, 09:43 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
®i©ardo

On 27/10/2011 09:01, ajsmith wrote:
I know everybody here has a wealth of knowledge on aircraft and aviation,
but I'm really stuck on what seems on the surface to be quite an easy
problem to solve, but after some weeks of research, I am no further
forward.

I am making a 1/72 scale diorama loosely based on Duxford in WW11, but
the problem I have is the painting of hangars, Nissan huts and other
buildings. I have been told they were standard camouflage (khaki and
green), green and a sandy brown, and air force grey/blue. After making
the Airfix control tower and painting it as per the instructions, I
struggle to believe they plonked it in an airfield with that colouration.
Is anyone in a position to give me any definitive guidance please?
Many thanks in advance for any help you can give,

Tony.

Hi Tony, here's a couple of pictures from what was RAF Elvington, now
home to the Yorkshire Air Museum. I hope this helps.

--
Moving things in still pictures

FastStone - Infinitely Flexible Photographic Fixing - For Free!

www.FastStone.org

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	01 Yorkshire Air Museum - RAF Elvington 01.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	307.1 KB
ID:	52587  Click image for larger version

Name:	01 Yorkshire Air Museum - RAF Elvington 02.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	313.1 KB
ID:	52588
Old October 27th 11, 09:57 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
ajsmith

On Thu, 27 Oct 2011 09:43:39 +0100, ®i©ardo wrote:
Hi Tony, here's a couple of pictures from what was RAF Elvington, now
home to the Yorkshire Air Museum. I hope this helps.

Thank you so much for these ®i©ardo - they are fabulous and such a great
help. Can I assume the aircraft hangars were the same colouration? After
all my searching, you wouldn't believe the colours some models are!

Thank you again.

Tony.
Old October 27th 11, 10:14 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
®i©ardo

On 27/10/2011 09:57, ajsmith wrote:
On Thu, 27 Oct 2011 09:43:39 +0100, ®i©ardo wrote:
Hi Tony, here's a couple of pictures from what was RAF Elvington, now
home to the Yorkshire Air Museum. I hope this helps.

Thank you so much for these ®i©ardo - they are fabulous and such a great
help. Can I assume the aircraft hangars were the same colouration? After
all my searching, you wouldn't believe the colours some models are!

Thank you again.

Tony.

Hi Tony, I'm glad to be able to help.

Here's a couple more pictures showing other outbuildings, again at RAF
Elvington, which should be of assistance.

--
Moving things in still pictures

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Handley Page Herald 213 G-AVPN 01.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	537.4 KB
ID:	52589  Click image for larger version

Name:	Supermarine Spitfire I R6690 02.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	374.4 KB
ID:	52590