Lubricant for spar pins

Old January 7th 18, 05:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

Default Lubricant for spar pins

Did a search of RAS and all the threads were quite old, so I thought I would ask what lubricant do you use when assembling your glider? I have noticed that the lube that comes with Schleicher gliders seems to have more friction and lube. Of course there is the old standby of white lithium, but any new ideas?
Old January 7th 18, 05:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS[_5_]

On Saturday, January 6, 2018 at 8:44:13 PM UTC-8, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
Did a search of RAS and all the threads were quite old, so I thought I would ask what lubricant do you use when assembling your glider? I have noticed that the lube that comes with Schleicher gliders seems to have more friction and lube. Of course there is the old standby of white lithium, but any new ideas?

Lanolin?
https://www.fluid-film.com/products/gel-bw/
Jim
Old January 7th 18, 06:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Taylor

Replaced lithium grease with clear silicone or silicone with PTFE. The newer lubricants are cleaner and less likely to attract dust. Seach Super Lube. A small tube will last for years.
Old January 7th 18, 07:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

http://www.super-lube.com/synthetic-...se-ezp-49.html
Old January 7th 18, 08:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Aeroshell 33. I've only seen one glider manual that said anything more specific than something like "use a non cold-coagulating grease" and if I recall correctly it was the L33 my club used to own and the manual had a MIL-Spec that Aeroshell 6 satisfied. I found that 6 was somewhat better than white lithium for resisting corrosion on a ship kept outdoors here in the rainy Pacific Northwest but 33 was MUCH better. Damn hard to wash off your clothes though.
Old January 7th 18, 01:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
chuck[_3_]

Jonkers is quite specific on their lube spec. From the JS1 Maintennance Manual:

-!Super Lube® Synthetic Grease with Syncolon® (PTFE) Multi-Purpose Lubricant.

Old January 7th 18, 06:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Be sure to purchase the 400 lb drum so you can share it with your friends!

--
Dan, 5J
Old January 7th 18, 06:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3[_2_]

Been using Superlube for about 20 years. Much better than traditional (e.g. white lithium) and other stuff I've seen people using. Very temperature stable - keeps a fairly consistent viscosity on very cold days and very hot days. Doesn't seem to pick up as much grime. Easy to spread a fairly uniform film. I use it for the spar pins as well as any other parts that require grease (such as the lift pins and fitting, horizontal stab pins, etc.). One tube lasts about 5 years.

P3
Old January 7th 18, 07:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
George Haeh

My AME (Canadian for A&P) is a big fan of Tri Flow Superior.

Good enough for rotor heads, but don't know what helicopters it's specified
for.

Keeps parts clean.

There's a number of similar lubricants.

Old January 8th 18, 12:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
john firth

On Saturday, January 6, 2018 at 11:44:13 PM UTC-5, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
Did a search of RAS and all the threads were quite old, so I thought I would ask what lubricant do you use when assembling your glider? I have noticed that the lube that comes with Schleicher gliders seems to have more friction and lube. Of course there is the old standby of white lithium, but any new ideas?

Wot? nobody pushing good old WD 40?
Seriously, surely the meticulous glider pilot must treat load bearing pins differently from spar locking pins.

And, of course, different specs for summer and winter.

I recall a case where none of these substances had been applied.
When responding to a call for someone who knows how to derig an
Olympia, I found it impossible to push, tap or hammer the taper pins out,
even when there were guys lifting the wing tips. You just could not
safely swing a sledge hammer standing in the cockpit; so we removed the
lifting pins without too much trouble, and removed the one piece wing.
Then one could really get a swing at those pins, which yielded to reveal
a coating of Fe2O3H20; rust! Last time it had been rigged was at a
repair facility!!

JMF