Inexpensive portable IGC data recorders

Old March 8th 18, 12:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Inexpensive portable IGC data recorders

Hi all,

I'm doing some research for our club. I'm trying to investigate what options are available for 'inexpensive' portable IGC accepted data recorders. Our club would use them for SSA badges and OLC competitions.

We would like them to be portable so we can use them in different club ships, rather than being panel mounted.

As to what 'inexpensive' means - less than $1000 U.S., preferably less than $800.

I did look on the FAI page, ( https://www.fai.org/sites/default/fi...018-2-14_0.pdf ) and there's a lot to go through.

I'm aware of the Nano, Nano III, Colbri II and Colbri X. Any others that I'm missing? Any recommendations?

Thanks.

Mark
Old March 8th 18, 12:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Wednesday, March 7, 2018 at 6:05:28 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Hi all,

I'm doing some research for our club. I'm trying to investigate what options are available for 'inexpensive' portable IGC accepted data recorders. Our club would use them for SSA badges and OLC competitions.

We would like them to be portable so we can use them in different club ships, rather than being panel mounted.

As to what 'inexpensive' means - less than $1000 U.S., preferably less than $800.

I did look on the FAI page, ( https://www.fai.org/sites/default/fi...018-2-14_0.pdf ) and there's a lot to go through.

I'm aware of the Nano, Nano III, Colbri II and Colbri X. Any others that I'm missing? Any recommendations?

Thanks.

Mark

You can use a $10 app on your android phone IGCDROID
Glen
Old March 8th 18, 12:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

IGC Droid is neat but not useful for Badge work.

I think I would suggest the plain Nano for this mission
Old March 8th 18, 12:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3[_2_]

Also consider FlywithCE. It's good for the most basic badges, which sounds like what you are after. Less than $200. Stone-axe simple. Note that it is a Position Recorder which is a lower level of approval, but good enough to get your Silver for example. http://wingsandwheels.com/avionics-i...der-fr300.html
Old March 8th 18, 01:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

For less than $200, FlyWithCE http://www.flywithce.com/ is an IGC approved Position Recorder, not Flight Recorder, that can be used for Silver and Gold badges and OLC https://www.fai.org/sites/default/fi...al_ssa_v3a.pdf

Old March 8th 18, 01:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

I had the original FlywithCE and found the program that goes along with it to be basically a massive pain in the buttocks to use. For example you had to have an internet connection to get the flight signed for igc purposes. I had a hell of time getting flights downloaded and could never sort out what i was doing right/wrong where some flights would randomly appear and disappear and others would download multiple times. Anyway I bought a Nano and never looked back.
Old March 8th 18, 01:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard Pfiffner[_2_]

On Wednesday, March 7, 2018 at 3:05:28 PM UTC-8, wrote:
Hi all,

I'm doing some research for our club. I'm trying to investigate what options are available for 'inexpensive' portable IGC accepted data recorders. Our club would use them for SSA badges and OLC competitions.

We would like them to be portable so we can use them in different club ships, rather than being panel mounted.

As to what 'inexpensive' means - less than $1000 U.S., preferably less than $800.

I did look on the FAI page, ( https://www.fai.org/sites/default/fi...018-2-14_0.pdf ) and there's a lot to go through.

I'm aware of the Nano, Nano III, Colbri II and Colbri X. Any others that I'm missing? Any recommendations?

Thanks.

Mark

LXNAV Nano $470

http://www.craggyaero.com/lxnav_flight_recorders.htm

Full IGC approval easy to use.

Richard
www.craggyaero.com
Old March 8th 18, 01:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Wednesday, March 7, 2018 at 6:19:31 PM UTC-5, Tony wrote:
IGC Droid is neat but not useful for Badge work.

I think I would suggest the plain Nano for this mission

He ask about recorders for OLC & Badges and the IGC Droid can be used for OLC and for the A,B & C Badges no recorder is needed and a GPS recorder is all you need for Silver to Gold. He was looking for inexpensive.
Glen
Old March 8th 18, 02:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Best choice (IMHO) LXNAV Nano. Turn it on and fly. Easy download and good up to Diamonds. Great contest primary or backup. Wings and Wheels or Craggy or Cumulus Soaring. Highly recommended. At least by me.
Old March 8th 18, 02:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

Nano is actually good for All flights so not just Diamonds but World Records too!