A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Expat Retirement with soaring?

Old January 27th 21, 10:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jeff Bures
external usenet poster

Default Expat Retirement with soaring?

Hi all,

First post here (at least in 20 years).

I'm a US citizen with private power and sailplane ratings. I'm contemplating retirement in a few years. One possible plan is to spend several years of it as an expat somewhere the cost of living is less than the USA. Parts of Europe, Asia, Central or South America are options.

These years should include lots of recreational (not competition) soaring. I'm curious about different locations with good soaring. I don't want to be the strange American with the weird airplane, but rather live where soaring is known and I could make some friends. Would people make some suggestions please?

I'm also interested in knowing how difficult it is for a visiting pilot to buy, register, and fly a sailplane locally. Are the requirements different if I become a resident? I've read that my USA certificate is valid in many countries if I'm passing through, but as a resident I might need to take additional tests (possibly in the local language). Is this true?

Are there any Expat Pilots out there?

Thanks for any advice!
Old January 27th 21, 11:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, January 27, 2021 at 4:17:53 PM UTC-5, Jeff Bures wrote:
Hi all,

I'm a US citizen with private power and sailplane ratings. I'm contemplating retirement in a few years. One possible plan is to spend several years of it as an expat somewhere the cost of living is less than the USA. Parts of Europe, Asia, Central or South America are options.

These years should include lots of recreational (not competition) soaring.. I'm curious about different locations with good soaring. I don't want to be the strange American with the weird airplane, but rather live where soaring is known and I could make some friends. Would people make some suggestions please?

I'm also interested in knowing how difficult it is for a visiting pilot to buy, register, and fly a sailplane locally. Are the requirements different if I become a resident? I've read that my USA certificate is valid in many countries if I'm passing through, but as a resident I might need to take additional tests (possibly in the local language). Is this true?

Thanks for any advice!

I have friends that soar in the Philippines, don't know much about the conditions. I would probably take off to Western Australia, although China is putting the squeeze on them and the GDP is down about 7%, looks like they are facing their first recession in 30 years. Who cares about the GDP and the recession, we just want to fly gliders and live happily ever after! The country of California is too expensive and way too liberal. South Africa might be on my map, but my life would probably be in danger. Looking South, maybe Argentina, the beef is good and the ladies are beautiful and the soaring is very good. I would stay away from Europe, although Norway or the Swiss Alps might be inviting, yet expensive.
Now here is the closer, you cannot take it with you, dead men don't spend money! Find a place where you can enjoy the rest of your life, fly your glider, find peace at mind and disconnect the Direct TV. Only watch Newsmax on the computer, live modestly, fly often and enjoy the rest of your life. Bob
Old January 27th 21, 11:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Roy B.
external usenet poster

Hi all,

These years should include lots of recreational (not competition) soaring.. I'm curious about different locations with good soaring. I don't want to be the strange American with the weird airplane, but rather live where soaring is known and I could make some friends. Would people make some suggestions please?

Thanks for any advice!

Old January 27th 21, 11:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Roy B.
external usenet poster

Jeff:
I have just returned from 2 months in South Africa - which was my 23d trip there. Wonderful flying, great people, fascinating country, cost of living about 65% of the USA's. Right now everything is a little screwed up because of Covid but where isn't it? It would be my first choice.
ROY
Old January 27th 21, 11:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mark Grubb
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, January 27, 2021 at 2:44:11 PM UTC-8, Roy B. wrote:
Jeff:
I have just returned from 2 months in South Africa - which was my 23d trip there. Wonderful flying, great people, fascinating country, cost of living about 65% of the USA's. Right now everything is a little screwed up because of Covid but where isn't it? It would be my first choice.
ROY

Thoughts on Naimbia?
Old January 28th 21, 12:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jeff Bures
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, January 27, 2021 at 2:30:18 PM UTC-8, wrote:
Hi all,

These years should include lots of recreational (not competition) soaring. I'm curious about different locations with good soaring. I don't want to be the strange American with the weird airplane, but rather live where soaring is known and I could make some friends. Would people make some suggestions please?

Thanks for any advice!

I have friends that soar in the Philippines, don't know much about the conditions. I would probably take off to Western Australia, although China is putting the squeeze on them and the GDP is down about 7%, looks like they are facing their first recession in 30 years. Who cares about the GDP and the recession, we just want to fly gliders and live happily ever after! The country of California is too expensive and way too liberal. South Africa might be on my map, but my life would probably be in danger. Looking South, maybe Argentina, the beef is good and the ladies are beautiful and the soaring is very good. I would stay away from Europe, although Norway or the Swiss Alps might be inviting, yet expensive.
Now here is the closer, you cannot take it with you, dead men don't spend money! Find a place where you can enjoy the rest of your life, fly your glider, find peace at mind and disconnect the Direct TV. Only watch Newsmax on the computer, live modestly, fly often and enjoy the rest of your life. Bob

Why stay away from Europe? Agreed for a lot of Western, just for the cost of living. But I've heard good things about Portugal, and maybe some of the former eastern block nations, such as Georgia and Croatia (as far as expat retirement).
Old January 28th 21, 01:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Roy B.
external usenet poster

Thoughts on Namibia?

Great place to fly - IF you have a self launcher (no tow planes). But what else is there to do?
SA has many large cities, shopping malls, restaurants, full amenities, first world medicine, reasonable roads, diverse culture and history and 11 official languages.
ROY
Old January 28th 21, 04:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, January 27, 2021 at 2:30:18 PM UTC-8, wrote:
Only watch Newsmax on the computer, live modestly, fly often and enjoy the rest of your life. Bob

That explains a lot. But not Info Wars? Or OAN or WND?

Steve
Old January 28th 21, 09:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Fox Sierra
external usenet poster

Hi all,

Thanks for any advice!

Hi Jeff,

I have flown in Argentina, Namibia, Poland and France.

Among these, I would encourage you to consider Argentina for its low-cost of living in US$ and a very active gliding scene.
The country has wonderful food, warm people, really strong gliding clubs with amenities (swimming pools, tennis courts, camping, etc.), good weather and very good Regional and National gliding championships. Many different locations to fly. Namibia has none of the above, except low cost of living and a relatively short season with European gliders shipped down there each year from November through January. Europe is Europe...what can I say...

Fernando Silva
Old January 28th 21, 10:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]
external usenet poster

Fox Sierra wrote on 1/28/2021 12:01 PM:
Hi all,

Thanks for any advice!

Hi Jeff,

I have flown in Argentina, Namibia, Poland and France.

Among these, I would encourage you to consider Argentina for its low-cost of living in US$ and a very active gliding scene.
The country has wonderful food, warm people, really strong gliding clubs with amenities (swimming pools, tennis courts, camping, etc.), good weather and very good Regional and National gliding championships. Many different locations to fly. Namibia has none of the above, except low cost of living and a relatively short season with European gliders shipped down there each year from November through January. Europe is Europe...what can I say...

Fernando Silva

I know English (American, actually :^) ) and can read a menu in German. Would I be able to
function in Argentina?

--
Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA (change ".netto" to ".us" to email me)
- "A Guide to Self-Launching Sailplane Operation"
https://sites.google.com/site/motorg...ad-the-guide-1