Good panel mount COM radio and intercom w/push-to-talk?

Old November 24th 04, 11:23 PM
John Huebbe

Default Good panel mount COM radio and intercom w/push-to-talk?

I am in the process of building a Sonex--all metal airplane--and I am
wanting to install a panel mount COM radio and intercom with
push-to-talk using headsets for both passenger and pilot. No external
speaker. The plane I am flying right now is a single place, with no
electrical system-so I don't have a radio in it.

My question is:
What do you think is the best/cheapest--yet still realiable radio and
intercom system to use?? I am just looking for COM no NAV, as I just
use a hand-held GPS I got at K-Mart---works great!! I have looked at
some radios online and boy, what prices for what I consider a
glorified CB radio. There must be something out there, I hope. I
will have an electrical system on this plane--12 volt.

Thanks for any help you can give me.
Old November 25th 04, 12:36 AM
Wayne Paul

I like the Filser ATR-57.

http://www.pipistrel.si/images/ATR57UL%20manual.pdf

Transmissions are push-to-talk and intercom is VOX controlled.

This is a quality transceiver and can not be considered a "glorified CB
radio."

Ed Hollestelle at Solaire Canada sales them. (
http://www.solairecanada.com )

Wayne
http://www.soaridaho.com/Schreder

om...

Old November 25th 04, 01:07 AM
jls

"John Huebbe" wrote in message
om...
I am in the process of building a Sonex--all metal airplane--and I am
wanting to install a panel mount COM radio and intercom with
push-to-talk using headsets for both passenger and pilot. No external
speaker. The plane I am flying right now is a single place, with no
electrical system-so I don't have a radio in it.

My question is:
What do you think is the best/cheapest--yet still realiable radio and
intercom system to use?? I am just looking for COM no NAV, as I just
use a hand-held GPS I got at K-Mart---works great!!

Who makes the GPS? Please describe it and the name and number on it.

I know someone who put a Micro-Air in his Champ and he likes it. It's made
in Australia.

Old November 25th 04, 03:32 PM
john smith

Cannot go wrong with an RST Engineering/Jim Weir 443(?) panel mount
intercom. I have had the 442(?) portable model since 1982.

Old November 25th 04, 05:10 PM
Jim Weir

The only problem with Microair, especially if you are trying to run two of them,
is that their key line does not conform with aviation standards. The aviation
standard is that the transmitter is placed into the transmit mode when the key
line drops below 3 volts. This allows for a couple of isolation diode drops in
a typical dual-radio or audio panel installation. The Microair must be brought
below 0.6 volts on the key line to go into the transmit mode.

Just a caution...

Jim

Richard Riley

-I've had good experience both with MicroAir and X-Air, from Australia.

http://www.rst-engr.com
Old November 26th 04, 03:13 AM
John Huebbe

Who makes the GPS? Please describe it and the name and number on it.

I know someone who put a Micro-Air in his Champ and he likes it. It's made
in Australia.

I bought this GPS unit several years ago at K-Mart. I have been using
it for a long time now in two different airplanes that I have built.
I just made a simple mount for it that I can remove the GPS when I am
not using it. It is velcroed in place in the mount. It has
everything I need. I guess it just shows the basics ie; speed, eta,
distance, has an arrow pointing me in the right direction etc.. It is
a Garmin 12, handheld. Cost me $100.00. I had to reload some new
software to it a couple of years ago when it could not locate itself
anymore. Anyhow, it is not fancy but it keeps me from reading water
towers.
Also, someone locally mentioned to me about using a VALCOM Com radio.
Anybody heard or used this?
Thanks
Old November 26th 04, 05:48 AM
Jerry Springer

John Huebbe wrote:
[...]

I have two Valcom's in my RV-6, I like them, work very well. Some do not
like toggle switches to change freq., but I do not find it a problem at
all. They are in the $600.00 range and have built in push to talk
intercom capability although I do not use this feature, I like voice
activated.

Jerry
Old November 26th 04, 01:03 PM
OSKI 3

I have a Hatz Biplane with little room for
Electronics. I used a MicroAir Radio
and it has a built in intercom and a MicroAir Txponder. Have been in for 2
years now and not a problem with either.
Completely satisfied with both. Good Luck.

Oski
N101SX