Combo Deals -- Do they work?

Old September 25th 05, 02:03 PM
Jay Honeck

Default Combo Deals -- Do they work?

Opinions, please!

(No one on Usenet has any of *those*, right? :-)

We're considering putting together a combo deal with a couple of other local
airport businesses, along the following lines:

1. Come to Iowa City and stay the weekend in one of our aviation themed
jacuzzi suites...
2. While you're here do your BFR with _________, a local CFII...
3. While you're here, have your aircraft annualed by ___________, a local
shop with 40 years experience...
4. Any other suggestions? Tickets to a football game? Dinner at the Old
Capitol Brew Works?

Of course the package price would be very attractive -- much less than
normal.

I've seen these kinds of things for "Overnight IFR Training" and "Weekend
Ground Schools" -- but do they work? Anyone ever done anything like this
before?

Would you feel comfortable having a strange shop annual your plane? (Or is
that actually a selling point, having "new eyes" check things over?)

I've talked to a couple of CFIs, and my favorite shop, and they're
interested in trying it -- but I don't want to waste their money if the
consensus here is that it's a dumb idea...

Thanks!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old September 25th 05, 02:13 PM
Martin Hotze

On Sun, 25 Sep 2005 13:03:27 GMT, Jay Honeck wrote:

We're considering putting together a combo deal with a couple of other local
airport businesses, along the following lines:

1. Come to Iowa City and stay the weekend in one of our aviation themed
jacuzzi suites...
2. While you're here do your BFR with _________, a local CFII...
3. While you're here, have your aircraft annualed by ___________, a local
shop with 40 years experience...
4. Any other suggestions? Tickets to a football game? Dinner at the Old
Capitol Brew Works?

it seems that you have great rooms; how about some ... uuhmm ... 'other'
amenities?

Of course the package price would be very attractive -- much less than
normal.

I am no friend of combos. but this is only me. I shop around and pick what
suits me best. But there might be a chance to bundle up. there might be no
reason for you to combo with football tickets, because you're booked out
anyway. You need to find combos that fills your rooms during off season.

I've talked to a couple of CFIs, and my favorite shop, and they're
interested in trying it -- but I don't want to waste their money if the
consensus here is that it's a dumb idea...

Maybe something romantic or so. Theater/concert/... tickets, a dinner, a
suite and a limo.

Thanks!

#m
--
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists.
http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2001/09/20010920-8.html
Old September 25th 05, 03:44 PM
George Patterson

Jay Honeck wrote:

Opinions, please!

All of your ideas sound good except the annual inspection. I, for one, would
never do that if I felt there was any chance that the IA might find something
that would keep the plane in the shop and extend my visit. The single exception
to that would be if the shop had a reputation for special experience with my
brand of aircraft; for example, I once considered flying the Maule down to
Moultrie and having the annual done by Maule Flight.

On the other hand, all it would cost you to try it is a bit of advertising
expense, right?

As far as a training package goes, there are two types that might be big
winners. One would be a basic package slanted towards overseas customers like
some of the Florida schools do. I don't know how practical that would be for
you, but the way the Florida schools do it, someone from, say, Britain comes
over, stays a month or two, and goes back home with a fresh PPC. IIUC, at least
one of those schools can provide an international or British license, rather
than just an FAA certificate.

The other would be the sort of cram course which you describe. At one time, I
would've been very interested in a package that could've gotten me past the IFR
written in a long weekend. Doing it away from home would have been attractive,
since my employer at the time would call you up and keep you working if you
stayed at home.

George Patterson
Old September 25th 05, 03:47 PM
N93332

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
Opinions, please!

(No one on Usenet has any of *those*, right? :-)

We're considering putting together a combo deal with a couple of other
local airport businesses, along the following lines:

The combo deals you listed sound good.

How about putting ads in the Des Moines, Cedar Rapids, Quad Cities, etc.,
newspapers with reduced room rates if an intro flight is taken? Guests can
take an intro flight either at IOW or bring a coupon saying they took one
recently someplace for the discount. Say if a room is $75/night without a
intro flight or $65 w/intro flight included, I would take the intro flight
just for the discount. It seems like most places I've seen the 'Learn to
fly' signs are at airports, which isn't seen much by the general public.

As far as getting current pilots into your place, how about advertising in
IA Wings, Midwest Flyer, etc?

Have you tried contacting the Des Moines FSDO, FOD FSS, Collins, etc., to
see if they would be willing to give a seminar or something at your place
during a non-football weekend?

-Greg B.

Old September 25th 05, 04:33 PM
Kyle Boatright

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
Opinions, please!

1) I'd be hesitant to take my plane to somewhere far, far away for annual.
Let's say there is something that renders the aircraft unflyable, and it
can't be fixed for a couple of weeks. This means I have to find
transportation home and transportation back to Iowa City to get the airplane
when it is repaired. Beyond that, I really, really want to eyeball any
problems identified by the IA. Also, I want to have enough face to face
time with the IA to make sure he's doing an annual, not restoring my
airplane to like new condition.

2) Find someone with a taildragger. Create a "taildragger pilot in a
weekend" package. Tailwheel instruction is becoming very hard to find (at
least in North Georgia) these days. Especially if you don't want to pay
$175/hr.

3) I'm not a big fan of combo deals. Usually, whoever puts 'em together
scrimps in an area where I'd spend, and spends in an area where I'd scrimp.
I tend to do better when I put together the whole enchilada.

KB

Old September 25th 05, 04:36 PM
Nathan Young

wrote:

Opinions, please!

(No one on Usenet has any of *those*, right? :-)

We're considering putting together a combo deal with a couple of other local
airport businesses, along the following lines:

snip
3. While you're here, have your aircraft annualed by ___________, a local
shop with 40 years experience...

Would you feel comfortable having a strange shop annual your plane? (Or is
that actually a selling point, having "new eyes" check things over?)

snip

A combo deal might be a good idea, but not on an open-ended (schedule)
item like an annual inspection. What if damage requiring extensive
repair (ie corrosion or engine work) is found?

Also, I would not let a strange shop annual my plane. I am very
comfortable with the work my shop does and would not want to mess with
that.

Old September 25th 05, 05:08 PM
Blanche

George's idea of offering to non-US pilots is very attractive. I'd
also recommend it as a stop-over for people doing those "see the USA"
type trips. Iowa City (and Iowa in general) is a nice, middle-of-the-
country stopping place.

As for the annual - sorry, not me. I must agree with (George?, other?)
not wanting to be grounded for some period of time NOT AT HOME due
to airworthiness issues.

But I do love the BFR concept!

Old September 25th 05, 05:51 PM
Mike W.

How about aircraft care items that are more basic. Oil change, or get your
plane detailed and waxed while you relax? Little stuff, like tire pressure,
clean the glass, etc. That way it's way more likely to be ready when you are
ready to go.

"Nathan Young" wrote in message
On Sun, 25 Sep 2005 13:03:27 GMT, "Jay Honeck"

Opinions, please!

Old September 25th 05, 05:54 PM
Martin Hotze

On Sun, 25 Sep 2005 14:44:42 GMT, George Patterson wrote:

I don't know how practical that would be for
you, but the way the Florida schools do it, someone from, say, Britain comes
over, stays a month or two, and goes back home with a fresh PPC. IIUC, at least
one of those schools can provide an international or British license, rather
than just an FAA certificate.

training or courses in the US for a foreigner aren't that sought after any
longer; the hassle with US bureaucracy might beor is too high [1]. Hour
building is a different story, but therefore I need more than an airport
(scenery) and more than one motel.

[1] small examples: first they haven't allowed to send the passport via
registered mail, only regular mail was accepted (idiots!); then you have to
show up in person for their visa. la-la-la ... other countries have
airports, too (Hello Canada, SA, OZ, ...!).

#m

Old September 25th 05, 06:02 PM
Martin Hotze

On 25 Sep 2005 16:08:58 GMT, Blanche wrote:

George's idea of offering to non-US pilots is very attractive.

ever asked foreign pilots about this?
how many renters are on site? if you don't have at least 3 renters within a
2 or 3 hours driving distance (or even less), you lost. Do you have a
reasonable connection to one of the big hubs to bring in the foreigners?
Atlanta? Chicago? Detroit? NY? (to name a few).

what are good arguments for this area? weather? area (restriced airspace)?
scenery?

I'd
also recommend it as a stop-over for people doing those "see the USA"
type trips. Iowa City (and Iowa in general) is a nice, middle-of-the-
country stopping place.

Not knowing anything about Jay and his hotel it would never come to my mind
to point the nose of an aircraft to Iowa City. Knowing Jay I really must
have some spare time to do it.

#m