12 dead this weekend from GA crashes

Old February 6th 06, 03:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default 12 dead this weekend from GA crashes

6 in South Carolina, 3 in Wisconsin, 3 in Florida (another Cirrus).

A current AOPA focus is to make sure flying remains affordable for owners
of "tired iron."

They awarded a 1974 plane to a lucky winner in Colorado.

On this web page a writer laments that GA planes don't have locking gas
caps.

And the beat goes on..... Who needs The Sopranos for drama when we have
"General Aviation, Entertaining America?"

Old February 6th 06, 04:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

The 3 in Wisconsin were freight pilots flying Shorts. Mid air between 2 of
the same companies aircraft. Three dead in one aircraft, the other aircraft
landed safely.
http://www.jsonline.com/news/state/feb06/390185.asp

Jim

lkaboutaviation.com...

Old February 6th 06, 04:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

by "Jim Burns" Feb 6, 2006 at 09:04
AM

The 3 in Wisconsin were freight pilots flying Shorts. Mid air between 2
of
the same companies aircraft. Three dead in one aircraft, the other
aircraft
landed safely.
http://www.jsonline.com/news/state/feb06/390185.asp

Jim

Standards must be tightened. The weekend before, at least 6 dead. On
Friday night, violation of TFR over Crawford Texas.

I was at FRG two weekends ago, and saw a Cirrus plane. Really cool
looking machine. Weird how many crashes. I'm not sure if I'd be willing
to get into one if I had the opportunity.....

Old February 6th 06, 04:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On 2006-02-06, Skylune wrote:
A current AOPA focus is to make sure flying remains affordable for owners
of "tired iron."

They awarded a 1974 plane to a lucky winner in Colorado.

1974? And considered iron? Sounds brand new to me.

The plane I fly most regularly was built in 1945 and is made of wood!

--
Dylan Smith, Port St Mary, Isle of Man
Flying: http://www.dylansmith.net
Old February 6th 06, 05:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Daily US Death Toll (2001 data from National Center for Health
Statistics)

Heart Disease .........1909 (Let's outlaw fatty foods and mandate
exercise)

Cancer.............1527 (Let's outlaw tobacco, mandate bran, or
whatever is supposed to prevent cancer)

Stroke........446 (More cigarettes anf food laws)

Chronic lower respiratory diseases.......342 (and still more...)

Accidents............292 (Get rid of them damn cars ...except my
convertible mini cooper ...)

Oh, and by the way, when we reduce the death rate by mandating
behavior, we're probably going to have to require contraception to
accompany our immigration laws.

When all of this is done, I'm willing to be next in line for adding
more regulation to general aviation.

Old February 6th 06, 05:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

GA's enablers at the FAA want to talk....

AGENCY: Federal Aviation Administration (FAA), Department of

Transportation (DOT).

ACTION: Notice of Public Meeting.

SUMMARY: This notice announces a public meeting on the subject of the
continued airworthiness of the U.S. general aviation fleet of aircraft.
The purpose of the meeting is to gather information and discuss
technical issues related to problems associated with the increasing
average age of the general aviation fleet. Particular emphasis will be
given to actions that have potential to mitigate the inevitable effects
of fatigue, corrosion, and deterioration on aging general aviation
airplanes.

DATES: The public meeting will be held March 22-23, 2006, starting at 8
a.m. each day, in Kansas City, Missouri. Registration will begin at 8
a.m. on the first day of the meeting.

ADDRESSES: The public meeting will be held at the following location:
Doubletree Hotel Overland Park, 10100 College Blvd., Overland Park,
Kansas, United States, 66210.
Persons who are unable to attend the meeting may mail their
comments to: Federal Aviation Administration, (FAA), Central Region,
Small Airplane Directorate, Attention: Mr. Marv Nuss, 901 Locust, Room
301, Kansas City, Missouri 64106. Written comments regarding the
subject of this meeting will receive the same consideration as
statements made at the public meeting.

Old February 6th 06, 05:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

by Michael 182 Feb 6, 2006
at 09:13 AM

Daily US Death Toll (2001 data from National Center for Health
Statistics)

Heart Disease .........1909 (Let's outlaw fatty foods and mandate
exercise)

Cancer.............1527 (Let's outlaw tobacco, mandate bran, or
whatever is supposed to prevent cancer)

Stroke........446 (More cigarettes anf food laws)

Chronic lower respiratory diseases.......342 (and still more...)

Accidents............292 (Get rid of them damn cars ...except my
convertible mini cooper ...)

Oh, and by the way, when we reduce the death rate by mandating
behavior, we're probably going to have to require contraception to
accompany our immigration laws.

When all of this is done, I'm willing to be next in line for adding
more regulation to general aviation.

Denial. Others agree with me (see AOPA message boards) that standards
for pilot proficiency must be toughened.

Since you are comparing GA death rates to disease death rates: do you
consider GA to be a disease?

Old February 6th 06, 06:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

by Michael 182 Feb 6, 2006
at 09:13 AM

When all of this is done, I'm willing to be next in line for adding
more regulation to general aviation.

You'd be acting in your own self interest if you do. See below, esp. p. 6
and 8.

http://www.bls.gov/iif/oshwc/cfoi/cfch0001.pdf

Old February 6th 06, 06:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Why the fascination with aircraft crashes/deaths?

Another post noted that 12 people died this past weekend. Do we post
every car accident and death, death from diseases and accidents?

Bottom line is that many accidents/deaths are due to pilot error and
it appears that no one (at least the others who are killed in similar
stupid acts) learns from these accidents.

You can't legislate or mandate by FAR common sense. So people will
continue to die for doing stupid things.

Ron Lee
Old February 6th 06, 06:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Ron Lee wrote:

Another post noted that 12 people died this past weekend.

That particular poster has a reputation of simply stirring the pot and has
posted many anti-GA rants in the past. In my case, I KF'ed him long ago.

Do we post
every car accident and death, death from diseases and accidents?

Personally, as an active GA pilot I am interested in reading about aircraft
accidents and do not mind the recent surge of postings.

--
Peter