Osh Kosh 2007 - airport & accomodation

Old December 31st 06, 03:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Marc CYBW

Default Osh Kosh 2007 - airport & accomodation

OK. Here's my resolution for 2007 - I've decided to make plans to fly to
Osh Kosh in my 182 - a two day trip by myself each way from CYBW (Calgary -
Springbank). One day if I the weather's good and I can find another pilot to
share the flying.

Trouble is, I don't want to join the heavy air traffic and the
landing-two-at-a-time routine at Osh Kosh itself. So Plan B is flying to a
field north or northwest or west, staying at a B&B, and renting a car.

What location(s) do folks recommend?

Thanks, and Happy New Year.

Calgary.
Cold, but it's a dry cold.

Old December 31st 06, 03:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Viperdoc[_4_]

You can stay at a number of local airports and then get a rental car. This
makes for a lot less difficulty in getting into and out of the field.

Some local fields within an hour drive are West Bend (ETB), Dodge County
(UNU), and Waukesha (UES). Waukesha has the biggest facility.

Old December 31st 06, 03:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, "Marc CYBW" said:
Trouble is, I don't want to join the heavy air traffic and the
landing-two-at-a-time routine at Osh Kosh itself. So Plan B is flying to a
field north or northwest or west, staying at a B&B, and renting a car.

What location(s) do folks recommend?

Oshkosh is one word, not two.

Fond du Lac has parking and camping, and I believe it even has a shuttle
bus to the Oshkosh site.

--
Paul Tomblin http://blog.xcski.com/
It isn't the volts that kill, it's the missing brain waves.
Old December 31st 06, 05:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jack Allison[_1_]

Fond du Lac also has some pretty decent dorm rooms at Marion (sp?)
college. Air conditioned and they served a pretty decent breakfast. Do
yourself a favor though and book a rental car way in advance. They have
a shuttle but the prices are an absolute rip off. IIRC, I spent $20/day
to get from the dorms to the airport to Oshkosh and back.

Fond du Lac is also a pretty easy airport to get in/out during
Airventure. They setup a temporary tower and the arrival is much
simpler than Oshkosh (which, IMHO, isn't that complicated).

Whatever you do Marc, be sure to find the Honeck campsite, stop in for a
cold one (it's always fun to give away Jay's beer, just ask MontBlack),
and say Hi.

--
Jack Allison
PP-ASEL-Instrument Airplane

"To become a Jedi knight, you must master a single force. To become
a private pilot you must strive to master four of them"
- Rod Machado

Old December 31st 06, 07:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_5_]

"Marc CYBW" wrote

OK. Here's my resolution for 2007 - I've decided to make plans to fly to
Osh Kosh in my 182 - a two day trip by myself each way from CYBW
(Calgary - Springbank). One day if I the weather's good and I can find
another pilot to share the flying.

Trouble is, I don't want to join the heavy air traffic and the
landing-two-at-a-time routine at Osh Kosh itself. So Plan B is flying to a
field north or northwest or west, staying at a B&B, and renting a car.

If you do not land at OSH, and camp with your plane, you have missed over
half of the experience. REALly

All you have to do is land at a nearby airport, within a hour or so from
OSH, get up early and take off so that you arrive within the first hour or
so the field is open, a few days before the show opens, like Tues. or Wen.
No problem then, the traffic will be very light.

Just in case, practice landings on a spot, changing the landing spot on the
runway at the last moment, flying down the runway at 50 feet, overhead
approaches, or one turn to final, and practice slow flight and speeded up
approaches. Go with someone who has flown in before, if possible. You will
have no problems, then, even if traffic is heavy.
--
Jim in NC

Old December 31st 06, 07:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Montblack

("Paul Tomblin" wrote)
Oshkosh is one word, not two.

Agreed. Drop the Kosh.

OSH :-)

Montblack

Old December 31st 06, 08:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

If you do not land at OSH, and camp with your plane, you have missed over
half of the experience. REALly

I second Jim's motion, Marc. If you fly all the way to Oshkosh WITHOUT
landing there, you will have bought dinner, drinks and a show only to
find that you've been kissing your sister. Right idea -- wrong
person/location!

All you have to do is land at a nearby airport, within a hour or so from
OSH, get up early and take off so that you arrive within the first hour or
so the field is open, a few days before the show opens, like Tues. or Wen.
No problem then, the traffic will be very light.

Absolutely. Just first land somewhere to the south and west (like, oh,
say, "Iowa City, IA" -- KIOW -- I know a great "Pre-Oshkosh Fly-In Pool
Party" that has free beer, wine, pop, food, music, etc, every year...
:-) within 90 minutes of OSH.

After resting up (overnight is always fun!), your flight into OSH will
be short, and you'll arrive fresh.

(South and west are best, so that you arrive in the RIPON procedure
without having to make any radical turns before joining the flow. Of
course, if you arrive a few days early, there won't BE any "flow"...
you'll just fly straight in.)

It's the flight of a lifetime. Don't give it up because you've been
scared away.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old December 31st 06, 08:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Montblack

("Jack Allison" wrote)
Whatever you do Marc, be sure to find the Honeck campsite, stop in for a
cold one (it's always fun to give away Jay's beer, just ask MontBlack),
and say Hi.

"How many beers you have this week, Jack?"
"Two."

"How may hard lemonades?"
"Um, ...ALL of them? More please. Seriously, we're out. We need more."

Montblack :-)
Those things go down WAY too easy when you're hot and tired.

Old December 31st 06, 08:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

Those things go down WAY too easy when you're hot and tired.

God almighty, remember sitting at the end of Rwy 27, watching
departures? It must've been about our third night in, and we'd walked
about 6.23 million miles that day, and it was about 200 degrees...and
*someone* bought those "Mike's Hard Lemonades"...

Whoo-eeee. Three of 'em went down like water, in about three minutes.
..

Dang, those are good!

:-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old December 31st 06, 08:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steve Foley[_2_]

"Morgans" wrote in message

Just in case, practice landings on a spot, changing the landing spot on
the runway at the last moment, flying down the runway at 50 feet

OH! That's normal for OSH? And I thought I was special.