A Proposal for the group

Old November 16th 08, 10:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

Default A Proposal for the group

Had an idea today and thought I'd throw it out here for anyone who
might be interested.
I belong to several pilots workgroups; one world wide comprised of
some of the finest aerobatic pilots on the planet. We brainstorm
together and have been instrumental in getting new rules and
regulations adopted in the air show and display flying community that
have saved lives. This group works quite well and it's given me an
idea. I'm just throwing this out here to see if there's enough
interest.

Would anyone here be interested in forming an email group comprised of
interested pilots and instructors from within the Usenet community
(namely from RAP and RAS) who would like to have such a back channel
email group simply to brainstorm, get acquainted,
ask questions, have questions answered, and generally simply to be
engaged in a good on topic friendly email loop with other pilots who
share the same interests.
In such a group, there is no moderator, no clowns, no flames, no
mxsmanics, no maxies, no anyone you personally don't want in the
group. Each pilot has control of their own group folder on their own
email program so they can participate or pass as they wish.
This email group need not in any way take anyone away from the Usenet
forums if that is their thing. You can use the back channel group at
your own leisure; send messages to the group or to an individual in
the group. No hassles, no problems whatsoever. YOU have complete
control over your participation. Just a group of friends with a common
interest.
I'm suggesting this only as an option for those who might be getting a
snoot full of the nonsense that seems to be the new standard on the
Usenet pilot forums. No need for anyone to leave the group or stop
posting here as the new pilots email loop is only another option
rather than a replacement for the forum as it exists.

Anyway, if you are interested, just drop me an email and we'll start
getting the "pilots email loop" together. I'm creating a new folder on
my email bar named "PILOTS EMAIL GROUP. If you write in, I'll add your
name to the group. As you receive emails from others in the group you
can add them or not as the mood hits you.I'm open to your ideas and
suggestions as no single individual including myself will be more
important on this pilots email loop than anyone else.
If no interest, we always have what we have on these forums now. Just
an idea I'm throwing out to all of you. Remember, if you join the
group, it's YOUR group, not mine. I'm just another member.
One final thought. Although I belong to several groups like this one,
I've never tried to form one before. If you people think it's a bad
idea or it won't work for some reason, let me know will you please. I
don't want to push the idea if it's not workable.
Best to everybody
Dudley Henriques

Old November 16th 08, 11:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
a[_3_]

Your suggestion has been largely overtaken by events, Dudley. Many of
us have moved on to other sites that are moderated. The byte slingers
who have substantially distroyed this group now carry on with a
reduced audience. The email approach does not, in my view, encourage
as wide a range of meaningful responses as other forums do. Threads
are shorter, but the signal to noise ratio is a lot more favorable.

I can understand how a specialized group might find emails more
convenient, but I am among those who are mostly interested in flying
safely from point to point, mostly with the wings level. This group,
before it went rotten, actually helped me add items to my personal
checklist that I think make me a bit safer and I'm grateful for that.

..

, absent On Nov 16, 5:22*pm, Dudley Henriques

Old November 17th 08, 12:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mike

Dudley, if you are wanting to set up something like this I would recommend
something like the yahoo or google groups format. You can set up a members'
only group that gives you one email address for the group. Anyone who
transmitts a message to that email address gets their message sent to
everyone who subscribes to the group. You have one or more people that
manage subscriptions. Although the email everyone receives comes from the
group email account, contained in the message is the email address of the
poster, so people can reply directly if they wish. It's a little different
concept than what you have envisioned, but much easier to use and manage.
You also get an area where members can post files or photos.

One problem I can see with what you have proposed is if a spammer gets your
list of email addresses, they can spam everyone on the list relentlessly.
With yahoo or google groups, they only get the core email address.

Old November 17th 08, 12:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

.

wrote:

[...]

Well, if the wider view is your thing, than I see your point
completely. In this scenario you take what comes at you however.
A group such as I'm suggesting would probably just end up being a
small group of about 50 pilots or so; but all friends and
representative of various venues in aviation. My background for
example ranges from basic primary instruction on up to advanced
aerobatics. I converse daily however with pilots who simply enjoy
flying straight and level and have no interest whatsoever in acro. The
main thing we have in common is that all of us are friends and we
enjoy hashing around with correspondence that ranges from the highly
technical question and answer session to relating how it went last
Tuesday on that $100 burger flight to the next county :-)
Anyway, it's there if you want to try it on for size. Glad to have you
on board if you're interested.
Dudley
Old November 17th 08, 12:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

On Nov 16, 7:04*pm, "Mike" nospam @ aol.com wrote:
[...]

Sounds like a plan to me. I'm not that familiar with these things so
if you would like to set up such a group, just let me know and I'll be
happy to join up with you.
DH
Old November 17th 08, 01:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mike

"Dudley Henriques" wrote in message
Sounds like a plan to me. I'm not that familiar with these things so
if you would like to set up such a group, just let me know and I'll be
happy to join up with you.
DH

I already belong to a couple of these types of groups that are aviation
related and I'm not really interested in joining another. I was just
providing a helpful suggestion towards your effort. Both yahoo and google
groups do basically the same thing, but I've heard google offers a bit more
storage space so you might want to check them out first. Both are free.

http://groups.google.com/intl/en/goo...ur3/index.html

Old November 17th 08, 01:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

On Nov 16, 8:00*pm, "Mike" nospam @ aol.com wrote:
"Dudley Henriques" wrote in message

Sounds like a plan to me. I'm not that familiar with these things so
if you would like to set up such a group, just let me know and I'll be
happy to join up with you.
DH

I already belong to a couple of these types of groups that are aviation
related and I'm not really interested in joining another. *I was just
providing a helpful suggestion towards your effort. *Both yahoo and google
groups do basically the same thing, but I've heard google offers a bit more
storage space so you might want to check them out first. *Both are free..

http://groups.google.com/intl/en/goo...ur3/index.html

Thanks much for the suggestion. Might be an option.
DH
Old November 17th 08, 04:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Martin X. Moleski, SJ

On Sun, 16 Nov 2008 14:22:36 -0800 (PST), Dudley Henriques wrote in
:

Would anyone here be interested in forming an email group comprised of
interested pilots and instructors from within the Usenet community
(namely from RAP and RAS) who would like to have such a back channel
email group simply to brainstorm, get acquainted,
ask questions, have questions answered, and generally simply to be
engaged in a good on topic friendly email loop with other pilots who
share the same interests?

You can use Google Groups or Yahoo Groups to set up that
kind of e-mail list. Takes a few minutes and you get
a nice archive and all kinds of support for the technicalities
of managing a list:

http://groups.google.com/groups/create?lnk=gcphp

If you've got a server and the skills, you can also
set up Mailman, which would cut down on the advertising.

http://www.gnu.org/software/mailman/index.html

Marty
--
Big-8 newsgroups: humanities.*, misc.*, news.*, rec.*, sci.*, soc.*, talk.*
See http://www.big-8.org for info on how to add or remove newsgroups.
Old November 17th 08, 04:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

On Nov 16, 11:31*pm, "Martin X. Moleski, SJ"
wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the tips Marty. We're working on it.
DH
Old November 17th 08, 04:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
romeomike

Dudley Henriques wrote:
Had an idea today and thought I'd throw it out here for anyone who
might be interested.

Sounds like you are dedicating a separate email address to this group?
What prevents someone from spamming the group by emailing to it under
different names from different email addresses? Or what prevents
emailing the group with non-aviation related stuff? I probably don't
understand the mechanics completely.

New usenet group proposal: sci.energy.biofuel.* [email protected] Home Built 8 June 27th 08 05:09 PM
asw-19 yahoo group?? other asw19 group? Jim Culp Soaring 1 February 11th 07 02:12 PM
Bax Seat :was A serious proposal Michael Ware Piloting 16 November 28th 05 10:51 PM
A serious proposal john smith Piloting 7 November 27th 05 06:46 PM
Proposal: use OT (off topic) Scott Moore Instrument Flight Rules 7 November 14th 04 09:47 PM