Audio vario for the iphone

Old May 15th 12, 09:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy

Default Audio vario for the iphone

With nearly million iphone apps, I still can't find a simple audio vario app, one which can be used as a backup if all else fails or when flying gliders with mechanical varios. Non compensated and based only on GPS altitude, but still better than nothing. Graphic display optional. Any iphone app developers out there? Should be a simple app.

Ramy
Old May 15th 12, 01:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

On Tuesday, May 15, 2012 3:31:02 AM UTC-5, Ramy wrote:
With nearly million iphone apps, I still can't find a simple audio vario app, one which can be used as a backup if all else fails or when flying gliders with mechanical varios. Non compensated and based only on GPS altitude, but still better than nothing. Graphic display optional. Any iphone app developers out there? Should be a simple app.

Ramy

make it a pellet variometer display and i might just be tempted to get an iphone
Old May 15th 12, 02:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Grider Pirate[_2_]

On May 15, 5:07*am, Tony wrote:
On Tuesday, May 15, 2012 3:31:02 AM UTC-5, Ramy wrote:
With nearly million iphone apps, I still can't find a simple audio vario app, one which can be used as a backup if all else fails or when flying gliders with mechanical varios. Non compensated and based only on GPS altitude, but still better than nothing. Graphic display optional. Any iphone app developers out there? Should be a simple app.

Ramy

make it a pellet variometer display and i might just be tempted to get an iphone

@ Ramy - great idea!
@ Tony - LOL!
Not what you were asking for, but I have a Malletec mini audio vario
I've had for many years. Uncompensated, very small. Extremely well
supported by the maker. I've dropped mine and broken it - he repaired
(or replaced) it for free. Ten years later, it just quit working -
fixed for free again. Under $200, though I can't look up the price
right now....
Old May 15th 12, 10:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

"Tony" wrote in message
On Tuesday, May 15, 2012 3:31:02 AM UTC-5, Ramy wrote:
With nearly million iphone apps, I still can't find a simple audio vario
app, one which can be used as a backup if all else fails or when flying
gliders with mechanical varios. Non compensated and based only on GPS
altitude, but still better than nothing. Graphic display optional. Any
iphone app developers out there? Should be a simple app.

Ramy

make it a pellet variometer display and i might just be tempted to get an
iphone

_______________________
Awesome comment Tony!

Paul Remde

Old May 15th 12, 11:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

I really don't understand why popular flight computer display software don't do this. SeeYou Mobile and I assume everything else, knows when I'm circling and can even provide suggestions for thermal centering. Surely when it detects I am circling it could display the current climb rate in a pellet variometer display and once I level out it would switch back to moving map.. This would sort of be the perfect combination of vintage and modern instrumentation, all in one.
Old May 15th 12, 04:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
db_sonic[_2_]

On May 15, 1:31*am, Ramy wrote:
With nearly million iphone apps, I still can't find a simple audio vario app, one which can be used as a backup if all else fails or when flying gliders with mechanical varios. Non compensated and based only on GPS altitude, but still better than nothing. Graphic display optional. Any iphone app developers out there? Should be a simple app.

Ramy

This one for android with a trace:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...Beeper&hl=e n
Old May 15th 12, 07:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Three Uniform

Aahh, the benefits of the nicely walled garden for the iSheep.
On my Android phone I run of course XCSoar.
A fully functional flight computer as a backup, not just a vario.
And my Moto Atrix is very readable in sunlight, even better than my
Ipaq310.
If I need to switch to the Atrix early in flight, I just plug it into
my USB outlet for power, to avoid the battery running out after 2-3
hours.
And finally, I like the larger 4' screen size on the Atrix.
3U
Old May 15th 12, 08:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Grider Pirate[_2_]

On May 15, 11:45*am, Three Uniform wrote:
Aahh, the benefits of the nicely walled garden for the iSheep.
On my Android phone I run of course XCSoar.
A fully functional flight computer as a backup, not just a vario.
And my Moto Atrix is very readable in sunlight, even better than my
Ipaq310.
If I need to switch to the Atrix early in flight, I just plug it into
my USB outlet for power, to avoid the battery running out after 2-3
hours.
And finally, I like the larger 4' screen size on the Atrix.
3U

Smokin' idea! AUDIO* vario for XCSoar!! Max, are you listening?? 6.4
maybe??

*GPS based for those of use with pressureless NMEA sources or internal
GPS only.
Old May 16th 12, 08:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Max Kellermann

Grider Pirate wrote:
Smokin' idea! AUDIO* vario for XCSoar!! Max, are you listening?? 6.4
maybe??

Yes, I'm listening. I started working on that 2 weeks ago, but got
distracted by my Alps flying vacation ...

Here's the ticket: http://www.xcsoar.org/trac/ticket/1576

Subscribe to the ticket to get email updates on this.
Old May 16th 12, 02:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Grider Pirate[_2_]

On May 16, 12:47*am, Max Kellermann wrote:
Grider Pirate wrote:
Smokin' idea! *AUDIO* vario for XCSoar!! *Max, are you listening?? 6.4
maybe??

Yes, I'm listening. *I started working on that 2 weeks ago, but got
distracted by my Alps flying vacation ...

Here's the ticket:http://www.xcsoar.org/trac/ticket/1576

Subscribe to the ticket to get email updates on this.

This is priceless. When I first got a PDA to connect to my Cambridge
302A, all I knew I wanted was something to display my known landable
spots, and indicate which I had in range. I got XCSoar, and it did so
much more useful stuff that it took me a couple years of using it to
think of something I'd like it to do, that it didn't already. Of
course I found out that it was already being developed. Yesterday Ramy
asks about an audio vario (for iPhone), I think about XCSoar (since I
know he uses it too), and of course, Max is already working on it.