Sunglasses for soaring

Old September 18th 07, 05:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Henryk Birecki

Default Sunglasses for soaring

Ramy wrote:

On Sep 17, 7:59 am, Henryk Birecki wrote:
(Peter Nyffeler) wrote:
In article . com, wrote:
I have heard from time-to-time that Sun Tiger sunglasses work well for
soaring. Since I fly within 30 miles of the 1/10th busiest airport in
the world, anything that will increase my chances of seeing another
aircraft is something I want to take advantage of. It also turns out
that Sun Tigers are local, and not particularly expensive.
Opinions either pro or con are welcomed.
Thanks,
Jim

I've been using Suntigers for at least 10 years now. For me they work
great. In spite of blue being black, color distorsion never got in my
way. It is amazing how well the brain compensates. I wear bifocals.
Suntiger just makes them to my prescription (I did send them a frame
and a drawing where to put the split). I also have nothing but
positive things to say about how they deal with customers.

Cheers,
Henryk Birecki

There are couple of types on their web site http://www.suntiger.com/,
with and without polarization and anti reflecting coating. Which one
is most suitabe?

Ramy

Ones I am using are not polarized. Personally (and others will
disagree) I do not like polarized glasses in cockpit. Too many
artifacts with displays and even canopy.

Cheers,
Henryk Birecki

Old September 19th 07, 03:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
S52

I am quite happy with my Serengetis because of the following features:

- automatic adjustment (darkening) to light intensity, also useful for
tunnel driving

- increased contrast, this enables you to spot distant moving objects
earlier, and also to see more cloud details

Due to the different other technologies applied in the glasses, the
sunglasses are very relaxing to your eyes.

Old September 19th 07, 04:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brent Mayes

I guess this is a stupid question, but why are non
polarized lenses better for soaring?

Brent Mayes

Old September 19th 07, 05:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
01-- Zero One

They are not better, Brent. In fact, polarized ones are better because
they allow you to see haze domes and other gliders with greater
definition and contrast. See this thread for a few caveats about older
canopies, etc. But all in all, polarized is the way to go, IMNSHO.

Larry

"zero one"

USA

"Brent Mayes" wrote in
message :

Old September 19th 07, 05:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ken Kochanski (KK)

On Sep 14, 1:13 pm, wrote:
I have heard from time-to-time that Sun Tiger sunglasses work well for
soaring. Since I fly within 30 miles of the 1/10th busiest airport in
the world, anything that will increase my chances of seeing another
aircraft is something I want to take advantage of. It also turns out
that Sun Tigers are local, and not particularly expensive.
Opinions either pro or con are welcomed.
Thanks,
Jim

I buy safety glasses at Wal-Mart for $4.79 ... lens colors range from
yellow, light orange, and dark orange ... I typically bring yellow and
one of the orange pairs in the ship depending on how much cu I
expect ... material is polycarbonate so they absorb 100% of UV and
offer impact protection ... they are light weight and temples are
adjustable and the frames are camy colored so they look ok for the
style conscious ... I add stick on magnifiers to assist reading ...
price is so cheap so I have a half dozen backups ... I went the
expensive sunglass route prior - fine if you have a demanding optical
requirement or ego - but this works out great on a bunch of levels.
Your experience may differ.

http://www.msu.edu/~aslocum/sun/sunglasses.htm

KK

Old September 19th 07, 05:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Forest Baskett

At 15:48 19 September 2007, Brent Mayes wrote:
I guess this is a stupid question, but why are non
polarized lenses better for soaring?

Brent Mayes

Polarized lenses will give better contrast between
clouds and blue sky. They also filter out the polarized
reflections from horizontal wings. I prefer to see
those flashes from the wings of other planes so I don't
use polarized lenses in the air. I used to use them
for driving until I got a car with a heads up display.
Now I just use than on the water, where they are wonderful.

Forest

Old September 19th 07, 05:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Greg Arnold

Forest Baskett wrote:
At 15:48 19 September 2007, Brent Mayes wrote:
I guess this is a stupid question, but why are non
polarized lenses better for soaring?

Brent Mayes

Polarized lenses will give better contrast between
clouds and blue sky.

Also better contrast between gliders and the blue sky.

Old September 19th 07, 07:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bryan[_4_]

I buy safety glasses at Wal-Mart for $4.79 ... lens colors range from
yellow, light orange, and dark orange ... I typically bring yellow and
one of the orange pairs in the ship depending on how much cu I
expect .
KK

Do the Wal-Mart safety glasses fit over prescription glasses and how does
expected cu help you decide which color to use when flying?

Bryan

Old September 19th 07, 10:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ken Kochanski (KK)

On Sep 19, 2:16 pm, "Bryan" wrote:
I buy safety glasses at Wal-Mart for $4.79 ... lens colors range from
yellow, light orange, and dark orange ... I typically bring yellow and
one of the orange pairs in the ship depending on how much cu I
expect .
KK

Do the Wal-Mart safety glasses fit over prescription glasses and how does
expected cu help you decide which color to use when flying?

Bryan

On blue days I wear the dark lenses ... the yellow when I expect to be
under widespread cu or over development ... the medium lenses offer
some more flexibility.

They are probably too small to go over prescription glasses ... plus
they wrap around the sides. Here is a photo:

http://www.pgcsoaring.org/kk/glasses.jpg

I also stopped by a different Wal-Mart today ... and they did not seem
to carry the item, so I expect they are not available in all stores
for some reason. They are called SafetyVu Safety Glasses.

Here is a link to the manufacturer ...

http://www.greattechvision.com/

KK

Old September 20th 07, 01:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Sep 14, 1:13 pm, wrote:
I have heard from time-to-time that Sun Tiger sunglasses work well for
soaring. Since I fly within 30 miles of the 1/10th busiest airport in
the world, anything that will increase my chances of seeing another
aircraft is something I want to take advantage of. It also turns out
that Sun Tigers are local, and not particularly expensive.
Opinions either pro or con are welcomed.
Thanks,
Jim

Hi Jim - I recommend Sun Tiger. Mine are custom bifocal which
they tinted. Polarized would be better if it didn't highlight canopy
distortions and make some instruments unreadable, so go with
unpolarized.

Best Regards, Dave "YO"

PS: Miss August posted 3rd longest flight on OLC Sunday,
using Sun Tiger glasses certainly helped read the clouds:
http://www.onlinecontest.org/olc-2.0...htId=288978033

Sunglasses [email protected] Soaring 24 May 18th 10 04:32 AM
sunglasses [email protected] Soaring 24 January 22nd 06 04:49 PM
HDL-3CT Sunglasses Icebound Piloting 5 August 18th 05 07:30 AM
Sunglasses? Greg Butler Piloting 17 October 27th 04 01:40 AM
FS: Sunglasses you need Great Deal Aviation Marketplace 0 October 10th 03 04:51 AM