A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Owning
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Inner Tubes



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old May 13th 07, 12:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
RST Engineering
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,147
Default Inner Tubes

I understand there is a new class of inner tubes that do not leak as
severely as the old
"TSO'd crap" natural rubber that we've used since Wilbur put them on the
Flyer.

Anybody got a lead on who has them for relatively few AMUs for common sizes
like 600-6 and so on?

Jim


Ads
  #2  
Old May 13th 07, 01:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Rip
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 75
Default Inner Tubes

RST Engineering wrote:
I understand there is a new class of inner tubes that do not leak as
severely as the old
"TSO'd crap" natural rubber that we've used since Wilbur put them on the
Flyer.

Anybody got a lead on who has them for relatively few AMUs for common sizes
like 600-6 and so on?

Jim


Michelin sells them as AirStop tubes. Chief Aircraft carries them.

Rip
  #3  
Old May 13th 07, 01:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Kyle Boatright
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 578
Default Inner Tubes


"Rip" wrote in message
. ..
RST Engineering wrote:
I understand there is a new class of inner tubes that do not leak as
severely as the old
"TSO'd crap" natural rubber that we've used since Wilbur put them on the
Flyer.

Anybody got a lead on who has them for relatively few AMUs for common
sizes like 600-6 and so on?

Jim

Michelin sells them as AirStop tubes. Chief Aircraft carries them.

Rip


And they are not cheap. I believe Goodyear has come out with a version too.

Desser carries both brands.

IIRC, my 5" x 5" airstop tubes were $30+ each. New tires were $50/ea. It
hurt paying almost as much for the tubes as the tires. Still, only having
to air the tires 3 or 4 times a year is nice.

KB

KB


  #4  
Old May 13th 07, 03:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jim Burns
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 259
Default Inner Tubes

I can confirm that both the Mich. Airstops are top notch. We've had
Airstops in our Aztec for several years, they go month after month , even in
the winter, without loosing a single lb of pressure. I just helped install
Goodyear Flight Mate Butyl tubes in a new set of Flight Custom III's on a
Piper Lance, I'll stay in touch with the owners. Desser is good source for
each.
Jim

"RST Engineering" wrote in message
...
I understand there is a new class of inner tubes that do not leak as
severely as the old
"TSO'd crap" natural rubber that we've used since Wilbur put them on the
Flyer.

Anybody got a lead on who has them for relatively few AMUs for common
sizes like 600-6 and so on?

Jim



  #5  
Old May 13th 07, 11:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Doug Vetter
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 81
Default Inner Tubes

RST Engineering wrote:
Anybody got a lead on who has them for relatively few AMUs for common sizes
like 600-6 and so on?


Both my mechanic and Desser recommended the Aero-Classic LeakGuard
tubes. We installed them a couple years ago and I can't remember the
last time I filled them. Definitely more expensive than a regular tube,
but worth it.

-Doug

--
--------------------
Doug Vetter, ATP/CFI

http://www.dvatp.com
--------------------
  #6  
Old May 13th 07, 02:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jay Honeck
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3,573
Default Inner Tubes

Both my mechanic and Desser recommended the Aero-Classic LeakGuard
tubes. We installed them a couple years ago and I can't remember the
last time I filled them. Definitely more expensive than a regular tube,
but worth it.


Now that is high praise.

Mary and I fill the tires at least twice a month. It's her least
favorite task, since -- thanks to our Fancy Pants -- it's a real bitch
to do.

(Me? I just stand there and push -- or pull -- till things are lined
up properly... :-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA
Pathfinder N56993
www.AlexisParkInn.com
"Your Aviation Destination"

  #7  
Old May 13th 07, 04:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Mike Murdock
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 21
Default Inner Tubes

Where else but in aviation do you have to pay extra to get inner tubes that
don't leak? You gotta love it.

-Mike

"Kyle Boatright" wrote:
....
And they are not cheap. I believe Goodyear has come out with a version
too.

Desser carries both brands.

IIRC, my 5" x 5" airstop tubes were $30+ each. New tires were $50/ea. It
hurt paying almost as much for the tubes as the tires. Still, only having
to air the tires 3 or 4 times a year is nice.

KB



  #8  
Old May 13th 07, 04:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
John Clear
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 152
Default Inner Tubes

In article ,
Mike Murdock wrote:
Where else but in aviation do you have to pay extra to get inner tubes that
don't leak? You gotta love it.


Bicycling has the same issue. I lose ~40psi a week out of the
tires on my bike. Of course, I'm starting at a much higher pressure.
The tires on my road bike have a recommended pressure of 100psi.
I have upgraded tubes for when I need to replace the existing ones,
but it is easy enough to add air that it isn't worth trashing good
but leaky tubes.

John
--
John Clear - http://www.clear-prop.org/

  #9  
Old May 13th 07, 05:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Roger (K8RI)
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 727
Default Inner Tubes

On Sun, 13 May 2007 06:49:14 -0400, Doug Vetter
wrote:

RST Engineering wrote:
Anybody got a lead on who has them for relatively few AMUs for common sizes
like 600-6 and so on?


Both my mechanic and Desser recommended the Aero-Classic LeakGuard
tubes. We installed them a couple years ago and I can't remember the
last time I filled them. Definitely more expensive than a regular tube,
but worth it.


I put them on the Deb nigh onto two years ago? Been quite a while any
way. It's been over a year since I put air in them. Late this past
winter I checked them and they were still right where I had put them.
Yes, they cost a bit more, but as I recall they weren't all that much
more and I heartily agree, they are worth it.


-Doug

  #10  
Old May 14th 07, 12:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
john smith[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 393
Default Inner Tubes

In article .com,
Jay Honeck wrote:

Mary and I fill the tires at least twice a month. It's her least
favorite task, since -- thanks to our Fancy Pants -- it's a real bitch
to do.


Hmm... I would have reworded that sentence so that there was no
ambiguity as to what and whom I was referring. ;-)
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Where can you get empty caulking gun tubes... Jerry Wass Home Built 16 March 3rd 11 04:36 PM
Connecting hoses to pitot/static tubes Ernest Christley Home Built 9 October 23rd 06 01:44 PM
Wanted: NON FUNCTIONAL VT-4-C and VT-25 vacuum tubes, other gear for B-17 setup Juan Jimenez Aviation Marketplace 7 September 19th 06 10:20 PM
Leak proof tubes Roger Owning 9 December 8th 05 09:15 AM
Seeking US Source for Main Wheel Tubes Chris OCallaghan Soaring 7 August 28th 04 03:46 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:27 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2020 AviationBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.