MS20074-05-24 bolts

Old January 8th 08, 05:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Rich S.[_1_]

Default MS20074-05-24 bolts

"Matt Whiting" wrote in message
news

Just be careful as often the engineer designed the bolts to be the "fuse"
in the system. Replacing a grade 3 or 5 bolt with grade 8 can be akin to
replacing a fuse with a penny. It may not hurt for a long time, but there
comes the day...

And you know this how ???? Example ???

Rich S.

Old January 10th 08, 01:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
jerry wass

Rich S. wrote:
"Matt Whiting" wrote in message
news
Just be careful as often the engineer designed the bolts to be the "fuse"
in the system. Replacing a grade 3 or 5 bolt with grade 8 can be akin to
replacing a fuse with a penny. It may not hurt for a long time, but there
comes the day...

And you know this how ???? Example ???

Rich S.

Not tryoing to start an argument---but maybe it's better to jerk the
tailwheel off the spring, than to jerk the spring out of the ass of the
airplane!--Jerry
Old January 10th 08, 01:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Matt Whiting

Jerry Wass wrote:
Rich S. wrote:
"Matt Whiting" wrote in message
news
Just be careful as often the engineer designed the bolts to be the
"fuse" in the system. Replacing a grade 3 or 5 bolt with grade 8 can
be akin to replacing a fuse with a penny. It may not hurt for a long
time, but there comes the day...

And you know this how ???? Example ???

Rich S.

Not tryoing to start an argument---but maybe it's better to jerk the
tailwheel off the spring, than to jerk the spring out of the ass of the
airplane!--Jerry

Good thinking, Jerry.

Rich S., I know this because I'm an engineer.

Here's an example:

http://www.howard-australia.com/products/Jaylor.htm

Bolts designed to fail in shear and protect more expensive components
are very common. A quick Google search should have easily convinced you
of this. You are familiar with Google, right?

Old January 10th 08, 03:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Morgans[_2_]

"Matt Whiting" wrote

Bolts designed to fail in shear and protect more expensive components are
very common. A quick Google search should have easily convinced you of
this. You are familiar with Google, right?

I can certainly understand the value of a shear pin, in rotable machines.
I'm not so sure of the value in the case of a tailwheel.

If you were to hit a tail wheel hard enough to shear an axle in the tail
wheel, the force that did that damage is still going to be there, and is
going to continue pressing the tail wheel spring, until all the force has
been dissipated.
--
Jim in NC

Old January 10th 08, 04:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

" Someone discovered that if you replace that
AN bolt with a CAT bolt, voila, problem solved. "

That would indicate that the tail does not break off instead of the
bolt breaking, after a stronger bolt is used.

Old January 10th 08, 07:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Rich S.[_1_]

"Matt Whiting" wrote in message
news
Rich S., I know this because I'm an engineer.

And I'm not - that may be why I asked.

Here's an example:

http://www.howard-australia.com/products/Jaylor.htm

I notice that they make a point of stating that the bolt is a shear bolt.
Must be a bit unusual if they feel the need to mention it.

Bolts designed to fail in shear and protect more expensive components are
very common. A quick Google search should have easily convinced you of
this. You are familiar with Google, right?

I don't remember getting snotty with you, Oh mighty engineer whose
unreferenced opinions are above question.

One more question - why should I do the search? You made the statement and I
simply asked for a reference. I did not **** in your cornflakes. Stay away
from mine.

Rich S.

Old January 11th 08, 01:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Matt Whiting

Rich S. wrote:
"Matt Whiting" wrote in message
news
Rich S., I know this because I'm an engineer.

And I'm not - that may be why I asked.

Here's an example:

http://www.howard-australia.com/products/Jaylor.htm

I notice that they make a point of stating that the bolt is a shear bolt.
Must be a bit unusual if they feel the need to mention it.

Bolts designed to fail in shear and protect more expensive components are
very common. A quick Google search should have easily convinced you of
this. You are familiar with Google, right?

I don't remember getting snotty with you, Oh mighty engineer whose
unreferenced opinions are above question.

You are confusing matter-of-fact with snotty.

One more question - why should I do the search? You made the statement and I
simply asked for a reference. I did not **** in your cornflakes. Stay away
from mine.

You should do your own search as you should never trust answers you see
posted in a newsgroup.

I never touched your corn flakes? What is your problem?

Matt

Needed 4 socket cap bolts Udo Soaring 2 November 29th 07 02:21 PM
Torque for prop bolts Scott Home Built 15 August 29th 06 02:58 PM
Metric Aircraft Nuts and Bolts John Scott Soaring 6 December 14th 05 08:54 PM
Oversized bolts Kjell Sivertsen Owning 7 April 14th 05 05:02 AM
Source for Bolts Dave Home Built 2 May 20th 04 08:09 PM