Transponder

Old October 19th 05, 04:18 PM
Jose

Default Transponder

My my perch it indicated either an igorance or predisposition to disregard the FARs. You are very kind to conclude that it simply did not indicate any kind of disregard for
the FARs.

Asking any question implies ignorance - not knowing the answer. It also
implies a desire to find out the answer. If he had a predisposition to
disregard the FARs, he would have merely pulled the panel himself and
attacked the offending microswitch with a fork.

Jose
Old October 19th 05, 04:52 PM

Jose wrote:

My my perch it indicated either an igorance or predisposition to disregard the FARs. You are very kind to conclude that it simply did not indicate any kind of disregard for
the FARs.

Asking any question implies ignorance - not knowing the answer. It also
implies a desire to find out the answer. If he had a predisposition to
disregard the FARs, he would have merely pulled the panel himself and
attacked the offending microswitch with a fork.

I see it differently. Your assumption disregards possible damage to the unit by just going at it. He asked here because this place is anonymous. In reality, if he felt he was
in the clear he would have asked around in person at his airport.

Old October 19th 05, 05:09 PM
Jose

He asked here because this place is anonymous.

I don't think you know why he asked.

As for anonymous, the internet is anything but anonymous.

If it were me, I would ask here because it is easy, asynchronous, and
one can get quite a bit of useful information. It is also
self-correcting inasmuch as bad advice is usually contradicted pretty
quickly (though good advice is also contradicted), and by reading a
bunch of replies one can get a good sense of whether the proposed course
is worth pursuing.

Jose
Old October 19th 05, 05:23 PM

: If it were me, I would ask here because it is easy, asynchronous, and
: one can get quite a bit of useful information. It is also
: self-correcting inasmuch as bad advice is usually contradicted pretty
: quickly (though good advice is also contradicted), and by reading a
: bunch of replies one can get a good sense of whether the proposed course
: is worth pursuing.

Exactly. In order to get good advice from researching the 'net (which
includes asking questions on usenet), one has to have a finely-tuned bull****
detector. This entire thread is a perfect example of why, when it comes to GA and the
FAA/FAR's:

#1: What's legal is not necessarily safe.
#2: What's safe is not necessarily legal.

... or more eloquently as a friend of mine puts it, "Hi, we're with the FAA
and we're not happy until you're not happy."

-Cory

* Cory Papenfuss *

Old October 19th 05, 09:41 PM

Jose wrote:

He asked here because this place is anonymous.

I don't think you know why he asked.

True, I don't know for certain, but I have a pretty good hunch.

As for anonymous, the internet is anything but anonymous.

At the level of this forum it effectively is quite anonymous.

Maybe someone should start an avionics maintenance forum. ;-)

Old October 23rd 05, 10:34 PM
CJS

I'd use a needle so you can dig into the tip (if visible) and move it into
position. If it's a mode S transponder, don't do anything. It'll probably
snitch on you during your next flight.

And remember the old Navy saying: If at first you don't succeed, get a
bigger hammer.

"Scott Migaldi" wrote in message
Tom Cummings wrote:
My King KT-76A transponder has a stuck "Ident" button.
It stuck when activated for ATC on the last flight and the button appears
to have colapsed sideways underneath the cover panel. It is no longer
visible in the opening now. ATC says the unit indicates an "Indent"
signal presently.
Does this require an avionics shop to repair or could it be a simple
matter such as removing the unit, then remove the cover plate and look
for a colapsed return spring?
Thanks,
Tom

Can you still see the button inside the panel?

The plastic button usually just pushes on the switch below it, if you
pushed to hard the button sometimes gets lodged underneath the panel. If
that is the case just get a paper clip, open it up and use the end to see
if you can realign the button so that it pops back through the hole in the
plastic plate on the transponder. Then don't push so hard the next time
you ident.

If you have to open up the unit best to have the avionics tech do it
unless you are familiar enough with the unit to try it yourself.

Operation without a transponder flyer Piloting 11 September 14th 04 08:48 AM
Transponder test after static system opened? Jack I Owning 6 March 14th 04 03:09 PM
Transponder petition Ian Cant Soaring 11 February 28th 04 06:38 AM
More on transponder petition Ian Cant Soaring 1 February 27th 04 06:37 PM