Transponder

Old October 18th 05, 10:28 AM

Default Transponder

Jose wrote:

All of that is a real stretch.

Would you pay a professional to put air in your tires?

Jose

No. I would pay a professional, though, to inspect and repair my
steering or brakes.

As to a transponder, and its vitial importance to the system (and to my
TCAS when sharing the airspace with VFR aircraft) a transponder's proper
functioning has importance to everyone using the system. Your proper
tire inflation does not.

Old October 18th 05, 11:52 AM
Greg Farris

In article ,
says...

You put Nitrogen in your tires? Must be fancy tires.

I use a special composition, about 80% nitrogen and 20% oxygen.

GF

Old October 18th 05, 02:20 PM
Jose

As to a transponder, and its vitial importance to the system (and to my
TCAS when sharing the airspace with VFR aircraft) a transponder's proper
functioning has importance to everyone using the system. Your proper
tire inflation does not.

Improper tire inflation can have a significant adverse impact on the
system and on safey, especially at busy airports such as those in class
B. Improper fueling can too, but I do fuel my own aircraft on occasion
rather than pay a professional.

The issue isn't whether the item in question is of "vital importance"
but whether it is simple or tricky to fix, which relates to the
likelyhood of a non-pro causing problems. It is not unreasonable to
expect that a stuck ident button is simple to fix. It is also not
unreasonable to expect that it could be tricky to fix. Therefore the
question is perfectly reasonable, and replies should be helpful rather
than insulting.

Jose
Old October 18th 05, 04:54 PM
Scott Migaldi

Tom Cummings wrote:
My King KT-76A transponder has a stuck "Ident" button.
It stuck when activated for ATC on the last flight and the button appears to
have colapsed sideways underneath the cover panel. It is no longer visible
in the opening now. ATC says the unit indicates an "Indent" signal
presently.
Does this require an avionics shop to repair or could it be a simple matter
such as removing the unit, then remove the cover plate and look for a
colapsed return spring?
Thanks,
Tom

Can you still see the button inside the panel?

The plastic button usually just pushes on the switch below it, if you
pushed to hard the button sometimes gets lodged underneath the panel. If
that is the case just get a paper clip, open it up and use the end to
see if you can realign the button so that it pops back through the hole
in the plastic plate on the transponder. Then don't push so hard the
next time you ident.

If you have to open up the unit best to have the avionics tech do it
unless you are familiar enough with the unit to try it yourself.

--------------------
Old October 18th 05, 06:36 PM
John R. Copeland

"Greg Farris" wrote in message ...
In article ,
says...

You put Nitrogen in your tires? Must be fancy tires.

I use a special composition, about 80% nitrogen and 20% oxygen.

GF

The FAA recommends a maximum of 5% Oxygen.

Old October 18th 05, 07:38 PM
Jose

You put Nitrogen in your tires? Must be fancy tires.
I use a special composition, about 80% nitrogen and 20% oxygen.

The FAA recommends a maximum of 5% Oxygen.

True, but that reccomendation is for the gasses outside the tire, the
ones in contact with the treads. It does not apply to the gasses
inside, which are enclosed by an FAA approved tube.

Jose
Old October 18th 05, 09:22 PM
Stubby

Greg Farris wrote:
In article ,
says...

You put Nitrogen in your tires? Must be fancy tires.

I use a special composition, about 80% nitrogen and 20% oxygen.

Isn't that mixture also known as "air"?

Operation without a transponder flyer Piloting 11 September 14th 04 08:48 AM
Transponder test after static system opened? Jack I Owning 6 March 14th 04 03:09 PM
Transponder petition Ian Cant Soaring 11 February 28th 04 06:38 AM
More on transponder petition Ian Cant Soaring 1 February 27th 04 06:37 PM