Instrument departure, non-IFR airport

Old March 2nd 07, 10:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Steven P. McNicoll

Default Instrument departure, non-IFR airport

"Allan9" wrote in message

Steve where did you find the SOCAL SOP?

I got it through the FAA Facility Directives Repository while at work. I
don't believe you'll be able to access the site, I can't get it through my
home computer.

Old March 2nd 07, 10:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Sam Spade

Jim Macklin wrote:

An IFR clearance can certainly be given to a departure in
Class G that is under or abuts. You can often contact ATC
and get a void time, either over the telephone or by radio
if there is a near-by facility.
The clearance would be something like ...
ATC clears N6662U to enter controlled airspace on heading
270 at 3000 feet. Cleared to the XYZ airport, via . Contact
128.975. Clearance void if not airborne by 1730, time now
1715.

Happens all the time.

But, check the airspace issues at the OP's airport.
Old March 2nd 07, 10:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Steven P. McNicoll

"Stan Prevost" wrote in message

Works if you can fly below 700 AGL into KRAL CDAS. And not at night.

Shouldn't be too hard, if they hadn't notched the RAL Class D to exclude RIR
he'd be in it at liftoff.

http://map.aeroplanner.com/mapping/c...yp=APT&txt=rir

Old March 2nd 07, 10:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Steven P. McNicoll

"Sam Spade" wrote in message

What I wrote was perfectly clear.

If that was true clarification wouldn't be needed.

Old March 2nd 07, 10:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Steven P. McNicoll

"Sam Spade" wrote in message

Do you know where the closest SCT ASR antenna is to the OP's airport?

I could easily find out if I needed to. But I don't need to.

Old March 2nd 07, 10:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Steven P. McNicoll

"Sam Spade" wrote in message

I said I can understand why they would not want to do it. It is more than
a belief.

Doubtful.

I don't believe you understand the airspace issues in that area. It is
different than Wisconsin.

I understand airspace issues everywhere, this is not an airspace issue.

Old March 2nd 07, 10:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Steven P. McNicoll

"Sam Spade" wrote in message

You should call her back and tell her that Steve McNicoll says she is
wrong and doesn't know what she is doing. ;-)

Since an SOP does exist she is definitely wrong when she says there isn't
one. Whether or not she knows what she is doing can not be determined from
available information.

Seriously, that 1,400+ hill to the west of the airport blocks the radar
site at KONT. I doubt they can see you until your well into KRAL's Class
D.

So what?

Old March 2nd 07, 10:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Steven P. McNicoll

"Sam Spade" wrote in message

But, check the airspace issues at the OP's airport.

What do you believe the airspace issues are?

Old March 2nd 07, 11:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Sam Spade

Newps wrote:

Sam Spade wrote:

If controlled airspace was not involved you could do what you want.
But, the rub comes in them providing you a clearance into (presumably
1200-foot floor Class E airspace without some procedure that assures
obstacle clearance until reaching the minimum IFR altitude.

Not ATC's problem. That's 100% on the pilot.

I know what you're saying, but I really do wonder. I guess it varies
with the facility. SCT has been known to get spooked about such things.

In any case, the OP went back to SCT and found out they don't want their
airspace clobbered with an airport in a really tight airspace situation.
Old March 2nd 07, 11:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Sam Spade

Steven P. McNicoll wrote:

"Sam Spade" wrote in message

Do you know where the closest SCT ASR antenna is to the OP's airport?

I could easily find out if I needed to. But I don't need to.

Well, if you did you would find it is blocked by terrain between it and RIL.