The danger of assumption

Old September 14th 05, 03:58 PM
Jim Burns

Man, that would require a layer just a few feet thick -- is that possible?

Yep, we get it here often. You can stand in it and your head will stick
above it and your feet will be below it. Pretty freaky.

Jim

Old September 14th 05, 06:49 PM

"Mortimer Schnerd, RN" wrote:
The airplane probably hasn't read the book. If you can get the weight on the
mains without the nosewheel skipping up and down, go for it irregardless of
published rotation speed. The aircraft will fly when she's ready. I don't
particularly care what speed she lifts off at... but I will attempt to
immediately accelerate to best rate.

Agreed.
I just wondered if there was some reason I was unaware of why this
technique is not as safe, or if there is a reason why the airplane
should be rotated as close to the published rotation speed as possible.
The technique described above certainly results in takeoffs that *feel*
much more solid and safe than an abrupt rotation at some specific number.

Thanks for the input.
Old September 14th 05, 10:42 PM

With two notches of flaps and two adults in the front seats, your center
of lift was way aft and your center of gravity was way forward. Think
about it.

I've never flown a Cherokee 235 before, but in the 140 thru 180 models,
but on a paved runway, leaving the flaps fully retracted during the
takeoff roll and kicking in the first notch at rotation always made for
a very good-feeling solid takeoff. I prefer to begin rotation at Vx to
ensure plenty of flying speed. The Cherokees don't seem to eager to
leave the ground until you've got that much airspeed anyway.

Old September 15th 05, 03:08 AM
Jay Honeck

I've never flown a Cherokee 235 before, but in the 140 thru 180 models,
but on a paved runway, leaving the flaps fully retracted during the
takeoff roll and kicking in the first notch at rotation always made for
a very good-feeling solid takeoff. I prefer to begin rotation at Vx to
ensure plenty of flying speed. The Cherokees don't seem to eager to
leave the ground until you've got that much airspeed anyway.

Well, today we flew to Davenport, IA. A cold front had come through last
night, and all of that thick, hot, juicy air is back down south (where it
can *stay*), leaving behind cool, crisp, clean, lovely Canadian air in its
wake.

Wow, what a difference! It's like having 100 extra horsepower! We
literally jumped off the runway after an incredibly short roll, and were
soon climbing out at 1500 fpm. No skipping down the runway this time, even
though the weight and configuration were exactly the same.

Of course, with everything all stirred up by the frontal passage, the air
was rough as a cob, but visibility was a zillion miles. Once we got to
altitude it was smooth and drop-dead, take-your-breath-away beautiful.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old September 15th 05, 04:03 AM
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Jay Honeck wrote:
Of course, with everything all stirred up by the frontal passage, the air
was rough as a cob, but visibility was a zillion miles. Once we got to
altitude it was smooth and drop-dead, take-your-breath-away beautiful.

Don't take this the wrong way, but you suck. G

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

VE

Old September 15th 05, 12:37 PM
Jay Honeck

Don't take this the wrong way, but you suck. G

Thanks!

:-)
--
Jay Honeck